kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Books - articles - monographs - videos - forums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by WL on April 11, 2001 at 21:15:38:

In Reply to: Re: Books - articles - monographs - videos - forums posted by Terry on April 11, 2001 at 19:48:56:

I commend you for doing research on your species at anytime. It is just easier for everyone if this could be done first. However, as you stated, many do research by getting information from pet stores, etc. that may offer totally wrong information just to get a sale. I see this not only a shops, but a reptile shows. And it is not just limited to tortoise sales. Young children are sold albino burmese python babies which they are never informed how fast they will grow, nor how big and dangerous they can get.

I apologize if my comments on researching first seemed offensive to those who are researching after the fact. My real problem is with the person who sold the tortoises to a novice without properly informing them of proper care. Dealers should be better regulated, but that will never happen. Anyhow, good luck with your torts, and I am sure you will be a caring and good owner.

In an ideal world everyone would do the research before purchasing.
: But that's not always the case, it doesn't always happen that way.

: Surely it's better to offer advise to somebody who realises their mistake and is now trying to do the right thing.Than put them down for not researching first.
: If they've taken the time to post here, then they obviously care and want to improve the situation.

: If we attack them for not doing the research first, we're not helping them, we're scaring them away.

: There is also some quite dangerous info in certain books. Infact one book ( this recently came up on one of the email lists)recommends or suggests that Ivermectin is safe to use on torts!

: If I hadn't come to this forum or looked up the care of my torts on the Internet. I'd be feeding them a bunch of bananas a day, as recommended by the pet store.
: A store that doesn't carry tortoise books.

: I had no idea that books on the care of tortoises existed, or that tortoises were such popular pets.

: Books on the care of dogs, cats, birds I'd seen but never a book on tortoises.

: I was also new to the world of the PC, but at least I had one and could do some research. Even if it was after my purchase.
: We had recently moved to Hawaii from a remote village in Spain. One where even telephones were not common place in the home.(We didn't have one). And cooking and water heating is acheived by using a butano canister!

: I was recently asked to offer advise to an elderly lady who has purchased a sulcata. Like me she bought it from a pet store where no care books were available.
: She also doesn't own a computer, not everyone does.

: So please don't be too hard on those of us who didn't research first. The main thing of importance is that they are now seeking advise.

: For everyone that comes to this forum looking for advise, try to imagine how many others are just following the pet stores directions on care and diet.

: The ones that are seeking advise and info are doing so in order to improve their knowledge. Which in turn improves the way they care for their tortoise. Should we put them down for that?

: Anyway, thank you for the post it makes a lot of sense.
: I just wanted to point out that there are reasons some people don't manage to do the research first.

: But even seeking advise after the fact is better than not seeking it at all.

: Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]