kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Repti Therm_UTH  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

The ongoing tale of the danger-seeking Angel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on April 11, 2001 at 17:19:15:

Angel and Chanel went to visit their grandparents a few weeks ago. During the summer months, when they play outside in the sun, Angel's favorite pasttime is walking continuously around the perimeter of the pool. She looks at it curiously, but never goes in it.

When we let her out to play this time, it was still too chilly to take the pool cover off, so it overlaps the edge of the pool and is fastened to the stones to secure its place over the pool during the winter. It is an old pool cover and sags a bit in the middle.

Angel began her time outside in the pre-spring sunlight by pacing the outside, like usual, and then I heard my father gasp. With horror, I looked out the window to see my Angel Baby walking ACROSS the flimsy-looking, see-through pool cover to the center of the pool. Although my father assured that the ad campaign for this particular pool cover consists of a picture of an elephant standing on the cover in the middle of a pool without any breakthrough, Angel's weight (13 pounds) was causing the cover to sag even more in the middle, and her delicate feet were getting wet from the water seeping through the mesh cover. Of course, this didn't stop her from further exploration. She just looked curiously down at her feet and sniffed at the water. . .

My husband and I ran outside, calling her name and waving her favorite greens. My husband took his coat off, prepared to dive into the cold pool in case she should fall through. Luckily, she turned and walked back over the cover (feet wet all the way from sagging) to retrieve her promised greens, and we retrieved our Angel. She honestly indulges in whatever behavior is most likely to lead to danger! Needless to say, the cover came off and the pool was opened a few weeks earlier this year.

At the time, it was NOT a funny story, my heart literally stopped beating when I saw her there. But now, in light of her eating that 4 1/2 feet of cord last week, it is all a funny story. These guys are really like toddlers. You can't take their eyes off of them for more than a minute! :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]