kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My Name is Sniffles, and I have a story to tell you.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Georgia on April 06, 2001 at 08:59:20:

In Reply to: My Name is Sniffles, and I have a story to tell you. posted by Annie Lancaster-TortoiseAid on April 05, 2001 at 22:19:11:

: Hi everyone,

: I am a (now) nearly 50 pound Geochelone sulcata. I came to TortoiseAid last month.

: You see, I must have grown too big for my owner, and I was brought out to the Mojave desert and dumped out here all by myself. I was all alone out there, and it was so cold that it snowed. I was nearly frozen when I got here, it was 39 degrees when I was found at 11 AM.

: I found my way to a road where humans are somehow, and someone found me and called Animal Control. They thought I was a huge desert tortoise!! They put me in a big truck and brought me to TortoiseAid.

: I have been battling a bad case of pneumonia and parasite infestation. I weighed 34 pounds when I got here. This hasn't been very fun for me, becuase the shots hurt a lot and my nose is irritated. That is why my name is "Sniffles." I even had a cough.

: I am starting to feel better now and I have gotten a good home, but I want you to remember that we sulcatas get very big! I have gained back almost 15 pounds in the time I have been here. It has also cost a lot of money to make me well again. At my size I did go through a lot of medicine! It is not my fault I got so big, but I ended up suffering when someone did not want me anymore and thought it would be "cool" or "funny" to dump me here.

: If you want to get a cousin of mine, PLEASE PLEASE be SURE that you can provide him or her with everytrhing needed to be healthy and happy, and also remember that we often outlive our human caretakers. Getting dumped to fend for myself was not much fun. :-(

: Sincerely,

: ~Sniffles the sulcata~

My eyes just tear up each time I read your post. These torts are so damn cute when they are babies, people just don't understand what they are getting into. I'm so glad someone brought her to you. We live in Simi Valley and our temps have been unusually cool here in Southern California this year. I can imagine what yours have been out there in the desert during the night and early morning when our two sulcatas have been all snuggly in their heated houses. Bless you Annie and crew. Keep up the good work

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]