kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Need help with Redfoots!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on April 05, 2001 at 14:45:58:

In Reply to: Re: Need help with Redfoots! posted by Tim on April 05, 2001 at 10:18:18:

That sounds like a neat setup. How are the temperature ranges? If you haven't looked into it check out the active uv heat bulbs.
Is the night time heating in addition to the under tank heating. If so, I would suggest loosing the undertank heating.
Check to see the little guy has clear eyes and no runny nose. Poke him in the nose (gently) and see if it makes any abnormal noises. If everything is fine leave it alone for a few days and see what happens. When you check on it just check to see that it is moving around. That is, see if it changes locations from the previous location.
Ed

: I have a rubbermaid container, 4 feet long by 12 in wide. The container has a few inches of topsoil covered with cypress mulch. I have planted some pothos and a boston fern, and have provided the water dish (very shallow), and daytime and nighttime heating, as well as an under tank heating pad. I also soak him once a day. So it is alright to just leave him buried?

: : In my experience hatchling redfoots a very delicate. The important things are heat and hydration and to watch out for chilling. So the habitat you need is relatively humid and warm. 75 to 85 with a basking spot of 95 F or so. Set up a water bowl so that it can get into and out of. Make sure it has a sucure hiding place. Then leave it alone and let it acclimate.(get used to its new home.) Be patient. Check on it daily to see that it is doing ok and try not to mess with it. If the conditions are right it should be out and exploring in a day or two.
: : Ed

: : : This is my first post on this website. I just got a redfoot hatchling 2 days ago. I have read a lot about them and have a nice habitat set up. It seems, however, to just want to bury itself all day and night. It is only 2 months old. Is this normal? Will it come out to eat?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]