kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Appetite Stimulant for Sulcatta

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on April 02, 2001 at 12:29:44:

In Reply to: Re: Appetite Stimulant for Sulcatta posted by cinder on April 02, 2001 at 03:58:19:

Well it sounds like your husbandry is pretty good,
but there has to be some reason he's not eating.

I recieved a very sick sulcata at the end of last year, similar in size to yours.
Hoku did have a bad respiratory problem though and was put on a course of Baytril for that.

Antibiotics can be pretty tough on such a small tortoise.

Here's how I housed Hoku while he was ill.

He was in a Rubbermaid which has more floor space than a tank and better air circulation.
The Rubbermaid measures around 2 feet - 1 and a half feet.

I bought a heat pad from a drug store, a small heat pad for humans.

On a table I placed a towel, put the heat pad on the towel and covered the pad with another towel.
This ensures that there is plenty of protection from direct heat.

The Rubbermaid on top of that towel, with the heat pad only under ONE THIRD of the Rubbermaid.
The heat pad is NEVER set higher than the LOW setting.

Inside the Rubbermaid I placed a hand towel, one with small weave, so Hoku couldn't chew on it or get his claws stuck.

The Towel was the substrate, I didn't use anything else.

A lamp was clamped on to shine over the same end as the heat pad. The bulb was 55 watt, just a normal bulb.

The heat pad was left on all night, in the morning the light was turned on.

Both heat pad and light would be on together for a couple of hours, then I'd turn the heat pad off, for the day.

I would soak Hoku daily in plain water for around 10-20 minutes.
Dry him off and put his food out.

Romaine and endive chopped finely, with a small amount of grated yellow squash mixed in.

There was always drinking water available too, in a sunny delight lid, placed in the cooler end of the Rubbermaid. Hoku drinks from this every morning, so I make sure it's always full.

I would soak and feed Hoku at the same time daily so he got used to the routine.

Pretty soon he'd be up yawning and streatching as soon as I turned the light on.
He would nibble at his food but his appetite soon came back and he now gobbles it down.

I live in Hawaii and Hoku goes out daily, even when he was still a bit sick I'd put him out.
He has his own pen that has pleny of sun and shade.

When he was sick he'd only go out for a couple of hours, now he goes out at 10 and comes in at 6.

On overcast or wet days he stays in.

I would try the Rubbermaid, a towel offers plenty of traction and the little tort can't burrow and hide all day. ( You can put in a hide box though).
Make sure the towel is streatched out though, so there's no way he can tip over.

Soak and feed at the same time daily, make sure drinking water is always available.
Soak in plain water.

You'll need to hook up the UV light too. I didn't use one with Hoku as he spent so much time outdoors, even when ill.

Monitor the temperatures carefully when trying any new set up.
Hope this helps, please keep us updated.

And please post again if you have any questions.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]