kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Is grazing ok?? and We already looked for it's rightful owner....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on April 01, 2001 at 00:49:23:

In Reply to: Is grazing ok?? and We already looked for it's rightful owner.... posted by Julianna on March 31, 2001 at 16:48:31:

Grazing is the way to go. Romain is good. I would stay away from spinach and mustard greens.
Contact someone in the CTTC for specifics on how to deal with this.
Ed

: : You feed it grasses and dark leafy greens. With the rains we had there is plenty of natural fare out there inclusing your lawn. Where in CA are you? If you are in a residential area someone is missing a Desert tortoise.
: : Plenty of websites to tell you specificly what to feed it.
: : Ed
: : : : The scales on the forelimbs of a Desert are fairly smooth. The sulcata has pointy and pronounced scales.
: : : : Ed

: : : :
: : : : : : :
: : : : : : : Try these web pages for more desert tortoise info:

: : : : : : : http://www.tortoiseaid.org/cdtlinks.html

: : : : : : : http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_tort.html

: : : : : : : http://www.tortoise.org/general/descare.html

: : : : : : : http://www.tortoisegroup.org/

: : : : : : ok here goes....
: : : : : : he looks just like the "goherus agassizi," under the desert tortoises section on the first link you gave me....his nails are a little beat up....and we live in the state of california...i was told we may need a permit....see what you can do with this..info and i will look at the other sites while you answer....thanks so much gratefully, terry

: : : : : : julianna

: : : : :
: : : : : : : It might not be a desert tortoise, it could be an escaped pet. So look at the photos carefully at these sites and the one I linked in my previous post.
: : : : : : : Describe the tortoise in as much detail as possible. Or post a photo, even better!
: : : : : : : Terry.

: : : : :
: : : : : He looks simular to the "geochelone sulcata" under the sulcata tortoises....but his coloring around the circles on his shell are dark like the desert tortoises.....ok ...help!!! we want to take proper care of him :)

: : : Thanks Ed....
: : : his scales are smooth....i could tell that from the pictures....we need to feed him today....can anyone help????

: : : thanks

: thank you ed, so i should just let him graze on our lawn...any other greens i can buy? such as spinach....romaine....collards? and water....does he drink from a bowl? as for his rightful owner...we already made an effort to look for them and no one claimed him, sooooo, guess who has a new turtle...we are in southern california, do we need a permit?

: thank you for all you info ed, i am grateful...

: julianna

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]