kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Send me your e-mail addy, you forgot to leave it!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rhonda on March 30, 2001 at 19:53:10:

In Reply to: Send me your e-mail addy, you forgot to leave it! posted by Annie Lancaster on March 30, 2001 at 19:06:00:

Thanks Annie,
The tortoise is only 13 pounds now. Do you run those sales often?
I want to submit it to your enclosure section. Those pens are so nice!
I will write to you in private for my order. Thanks again
Rhonda

: Hi Rhonda,
: You forgot to include your e-mail addy!

: Congrats on your new baby They're a lot of fun.
: It all depends. For sulcatas, I recommend seeding PART of the enclosure with foodstuffs. For the rest, adding plants, etc. that benefit the tortoise's "mental" well-being by providing visual barriers, hiding places, etc. For a juvenile, I'd generally go with a pound, seed heavily, allow it to establish itself with a GOOD STRONG root system (even youngsters can pull up roots when they're eager little eaters)
: Mow (or trim down at least once,) and THEN let the tortoise graze, in the meantime you can feed what you are trimming off. I would partition this area off so that they do not have constant access to it, they do not need to be exposed to "food" 24/7. This can be done by making a wall with a gate, or something similar so that you can "open" up the grazing side when you want them in there, and then close it off when you want them out. Make certian it is something opaque (that they cannot see through, if they can see thru it, they'll want to get in there all the time.)

: Also, I'd most definitely plant wildflowers in one area where they can't destroy them but can benefit from all the nutrients wildflowers have. To them, it's a treat to get native flowers. :-)

: For ideas on how to construct an area that won't be grazed down to nothing, go to the URL I provided for ya below. That page will again be updated Monday with even more photos.

: Best of luck with your new little kid!

: Annie

:
: : Annie,
: : I was at your turtle stuff site and want to get seed but don't know how much. I am adopting a sulcata in a few weeks from Turtle Homes. It is my first. My pen is 20x40 with a chain link fence surrounding it. We burried 2 feet of fence and reinforced it with cement blocks so the tortoise can't look out. Other than that it is compleatly empty. I am going to landscape it, but would like to get all sulcata friendly plants. I also want to get some of your seed mix so that I don't have to worry about mixing my own. How much seed do I need to cover this pen?

: : Rhonda

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]