kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Inbreeding the “Ivory Tortoise”

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Fife on March 29, 2001 at 11:16:53:

I apologize if anyone is upset that I have moved this issue to the top of the list (originally posted on 3-26-01). I have been out of town so haven’t been able to respond to the comments on inbreeding

Selective breeding (including inbreeding) of plants and animals has been going on for hundreds of years. It is relatively new in reptiles because captive breeding of reptiles is relatively new. Its nearly impossible to find a dog, cat, horse, cow, pig, gold fish, parakeet, mouse, rat, hamster, bedding plant, fruit, vegetable, flower, tree, shrub, or anything else that has not been hybridized, inbred, crossed, genetically engineered, or selectively bred to some degree or another. In almost all cases this has been done to enhance the quality, color, vigor, etc. of that plant or animal

Opinions very as to whether or not any of this should be done and even if it is ethical. Fortunately there are people who still maintain many of the original forms of plants and animals from which our modern products descended. I maintain all of the original forms of the animals that I work with. Maintaining pure strains of our genetic diversity takes a lot of work and needs to be done. It would be a shame if we lost these original forms of nature, it would also be a shame if we didn’t have all the modern hybrids that enhance our lives everyday. I completely understand that this view is not held by everyone. People are free to not purchase these modern, selectively bred plants and animals. They are also free to voice their opinions concerning selective breeding.

Fortunately the “Ivory Tortoise” seems to be superior to some of the other baby G. sulcata produced from some of my other completely unrelated, wild collected, adults. The “Ivory Tortoises” have excellent shell formation, shape, and are extremely vigorous and healthy. They also have pigmented eyes, which is important in protecting their eyes from the sun. It could also be argued that a lighter shell would reflect more of the harmful rays of the sun than a black shell. I am very fortunate that this inbreeding has perpetuated desirable traits as well as the ivory color. Putting this all aside these are very beautiful tortoises. Again remember we are not talking about human beings having offspring with several wives, their children, brothers or sisters, grandparents, etc. I don’t believe the morals we associated with people, marriage, families, etc. can or should be applied to animals.

Come to the Dayton Beach Epo and see them for yourself and then form an opinion. Yes, I do plan to continue to pair up the adults that produced the “Ivory Tortoise”. It will be years before my baby “Ivory Tortoises” are adults and can be out-bred, inbred, or anything else. When that time comes I will begin the out-breeding process and also chance a third generation of inbreeding. If that inbreeding produces problems then we will just have to wait a couple more generations for the results of out-breeding.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]