kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Road trip tips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on March 29, 2001 at 08:32:07:

In Reply to: A trip to the vet tomorrow... posted by Shelly on March 28, 2001 at 16:26:07:

Of course, I don't know how cold it is down there but I will give you my suggestions based on what I have done in the past for Chanel and Albrecht. I have placed dry towels on top of the heater and put them in their carry-cases. For longer trips, like the 4-5 hour drive to grandma's house, I bring their heat pads and place them underneath their carry-case or inside their carry cases. In those cases, I have emergency equipment in the car at all times with me: a flashlight, cell phone, baby wipes, two rolls of paper towels and most importantly, 4 hand-warmers in case of a break-down.

Hand-warmers are those little plastic packets that you put in your parka while skiing or any other cold-weather sport, you can get them at sport shops like EMS (Easterm Mountain Sports). I figure that if the car breaks down in cold weather, then the hand warmers which supposedly last 2 - 5 hours would help towards making the floor of their carry-case warm enough. Be warned about that last bit, though: because hand-warmer devices are based on a chemical heat reaction, I would NEVER advocate placing them INSIDE your baby's tank; curiosity guarentees a tragedy, much like the one I had yesterday when Angel Baby Girl ate 3 1/2 feet of a 3 inch cotton border. Believe me, in case of emergency trips to the vet, every second can count sometimes, so don't bother going through the towel heating cycle, just GO!

But when it is planned ahead and you can prepare, go ahead and stick the warmers in your car as "just-in-case" measures, and then heat the towels. I find that if I make the carry-case dark and covered, it not only limits the baby's exposure to cold air but the darkness has a calming effect on reptiles and they are more likely to go to sleep rather than scrabble in their cage trying to get out. Also, bring a little of their food so that if Tonka experiences FOVS (Fear of Vet Syndrome) and goes into hiding, you can coax him out with his favorite green. Lastly, if you have a spare sample of some poop, stick it in a plastic bag and bring that too, it is helpful to have that ready so that the vet can scan for any parasites. Of course, Tonka may not enjoy the bumpy car ride, so expect to take along baby wipes for his bottom; he will probably make fecal samples all the way to the vet! Good luck.

: Tonka is getting his yearly vet check tomorrow and I have a question for you guys. What should I use to keep him warm while we are en route to the vet? I was going to wait until it got warm, but I didn't want to put it off any longer for to reasons. One his beak is somewhat over grown (in my opinion) and has a slight split in the front. Now he does not appear to be in pain and he is eating but this morning he had a piece of his lizard litter stuck in it and I had to pull it out with tweezers. Two I noticed a few (very few) bubbles in his nose, I don't know if he had just went for a drink or what. But I figured I would go ahead and make him an appointment. We are trying a new vet this year, one that is supposed to be the best around here. He is the vet for our local zoo and very herp smart (so I am told). So wish us luck. I guess I rambled on enough, cause the only question I had was about keeping him warm during transport it is about a 20-25 min drive.

: Thanks,
: Shelly & Tonka

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]