kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: cross breeding of brother & sisters?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Fife on March 26, 2001 at 09:42:12:

In Reply to: cross breeding of brother & sisters? posted by graham(UK) on March 25, 2001 at 12:25:15:

Unfortunately there is always a chance of perpetuating a problem. Just as the inbreeding produces an albino, it can also cause other problems. What kind of problems depends on what kind of problems the parents have. Inbreeding can also perpetuate desirable traits. Extra strong and hardy tortoises have a good chance of producing strong and hardy offspring.

One way to “fix” the problem is to outbreed. This can be done by breeding an albino male with two completely unrelated females. 50% of their offspring would carry the recessive gene for an albino (heterozygous). You then breed the offspring from both unrelated normal females. If you were lucky enough to have paired up offspring that were both heterozygous (no way too know until you see the offspring) then 25% of their offspring would be albinos and have a much-reduced chance of perpetuating other problems.

The problem with all this is that it will take quite a few years to come up with out-bred albinos. This out-breeding is part of a long-term plan. I have bred leopard geckos to 15 generations with out any problems. I am hopeful that I can breed spurred tortoises to 3 generations without a lot of problems. So far these albino tortoises seem extremely vigorous and hardy. Only time will tell what their offspring will be like. I expect they will also be vigorous and hardy!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]