kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

HELP!! should star have surgery or not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ann on March 21, 2001 at 20:52:59:

my indian star tortise has had five abscesses removed about 1 1/2 months ago. the vet then put him on tetracycline antibiotics soaking him for about 20min twice a day. i brought him back to be reviewed by a senior vet how then put him on Baytril (which i found on the net that stars don't react well to and told the first vet), who said that because the doseage was low, it would not cause any problems. he then refused to eat and his abscesses got bigger. he has been in vet hospital for over a week now and is getting worse. they can't put a tube down his throat cos' of the abscesses there. the vet says that although he is now on gentamicin, he's not really responding and she recomends surgery to remove the abscesses, one under his eye and in his throat. and to make a hole at the side of his throat and put a stomach tube in. but in his weakend state (he hasn't eaten in weeks and has pooed once last week) should i agree to surgery or what else can i do? please help? i've had him for 5 years and don't want to lose him!! (and i've spent $350 on his treatment so far for the last 2-3 months, although money is not a concern, the surgery will cost an extra $250)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]