kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Need advice on humps on my tortoise back

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on March 21, 2001 at 10:23:16:

In Reply to: Need advice on humps on my tortoise back posted by Sonja on March 20, 2001 at 14:51:14:

leopards are grazers. The best you can do is put them outside to forage on a lawn BUT they cannot tolerate damp chilling weather. Even Fla. gets to cool to keep them out all the time without supplemental heat. I highly recomend that they be kept at a range of 75 to 100 F. That is that they should have access to this entire range during daylight hours and night time temps should not go below 75F. If you adhere to this range you should not have any problems with resp. problems. Also make sure there is accessable water available at all times. Believe it or not leopards are not easy charges. They are delicate.
Finally these are one of the species that does show a propensity towards pyramiding. So, some pyramiding in leopards does look natural.
Here is a shot of a 3 year old that I hatched out. I'm very pleased with the development of this tortoise. The shell is very well rounded and proportioned and there is no pinching in where the girdle bone atteches to the upper carapace.(indicators of MBD)
(btw I have babies available)
Ed

: My leopard tortoise has humps on his back (perhaps caused by poor diet). What can I do to alleviate this condition? What is the best diet for this species? Tortoise climate is southwest Florida.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]