kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Star hatchlings with running nose HELP !!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dave on March 17, 2001 at 04:23:41:

In Reply to: Re: Star hatchlings with running nose HELP !! posted by Tim on March 16, 2001 at 05:53:13:

: : Hi, I have 3 hatchlings that has a little running nose for about 15-18 days now. I've tried several things but so far nothing worked. I've given them Gentamicin Sulfate once a day for the last 2 weeks and the symptom persisted. I keep the temperature around 76-88 (night and day). Someone suggested that it might be due to lack of humidity or vitamin A and I've tried to raise the humidity a little with a cup of water in the tank and give them plenty of veggies high in vitamin A with yogurt that has mineral and vitamins added. And a vet told me that as long as they're eating fine and shows with no sign of losing weight, that should not be a concern. I've been keeping track of their weight and they seems to be gaining weight slowly. They're about Please let me know what you think.

: Sounds like a respiratory infection to me. I would of thought the Vet would do a test of the mucus. Antibiotics would be in order if its a respiratory infection. Lack of vitamin A is the root cause of respiratory infection. Do they also have puffy eyes? That's a sign of not getting enough vitamin A. Are you giving them supplements? I use a product called turtle clear eyes. It's a vitmin A supplement in a eye drop. It's made by TetraFauna most good reptile stores carry it. My Vet is a tortoise expert and he recommends it. You give sick animals one drop in each eye for 20 days. Healthy animals get one drop in each eye once a month. I would ask your vet about testing the mucus coming from the toretoises noses and tell him you think they may have a respiratory infection. But I also would hope he or she would have done that to start with. You may want to discuss this with one of the online Vets at kingsnake.com or get another opinion.

: Tim

I give them calcium supplement and multi vitamins at least once every 2 days. Also, I've tried counsulted with several vets who keeps reptiles/tortoise themselves and they tell me not to worry about it as long as their appetite is good and no signs of weight loss. I notice that the running nose may stop for a few days and then it will come back again several days later.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]