kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hatchling Spurred Tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Maja Kotarska on March 06, 2001 at 21:23:22:

In Reply to: Hatchling Spurred Tortoise posted by Amanda Campbell on March 06, 2001 at 10:13:26:

Amanda,
Your setup seems fine however you did not mention UV light. You absolutely need to have one. The bulb is quite expensive and it needs to be exchaned every 12 months. You need this light in addition to the heat bulb. The temperature gradient in your tank should be from 75-85.
Also do not feed your tortoise Romaine lettuce. It has no nutrition. Please go to www.tortoise.com and under things you should know link there will be a full list of things to feed your tortoise , also things not to feed him. Spurred tortoises love opuntia cactus and other high fiber foods. If you are interested at www.turtlecafe.com you can buy lots of food for them. Maja
: This past Saturday, I bought myself a hatchling African Spurred Tortoise at a local petshop. He is about 3 or 4 inches long. I am keeping him in a ten gallon aquarium in my room. The aquarium has a basking light, a rock cave for hiding, 2 shallow bowls for food and water, and lizard litter as a substrate. I keep the light on during the day and turn it off at night when he is in his cave sleeping. I have been feeding him romaine lettuce with Fluker's vitamin and calcium powder on it. He has been eating quite a lot for a baby his size. I have been soaking him in enough water to cover the bottom of his shell every other day. He spends about half the day sleeping in his cave and basking under the light, and half walking around and eating. Is this appropriate? Plus, I plan to buy myself a turtle book and some grass seed to grow him some grass to eat.

:
: Thank You
: Amanda

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: