kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re. question about beasley site?????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim on March 04, 2001 at 13:04:10:

In Reply to: Re: new red foot owner.....problems with humidy posted by Jen B on March 04, 2001 at 09:44:43:

: How old is your redfoot? If it is less than a year, I think that soaking it everyday is appropriate. Over a year, you can reduce this to several times a week.

: There are different factors in maintaining up humidity. Substrate is important-- cypress mulch is very effective for holding moisture (don't every use cedar-- this is toxic). Spraying the environment periodically with a mister can help rehydrate the environment. There are also commercially-made misting machines that can help in this matter.

: The link below is to a very good site created by some enthusiastic redfoot owners. It's very informative and also includes links to other informative sites. I believe that they talk about their humidity tactics.

: Good luck! :-)

: Jennifer

:
: : i've recently purchased a red foot....i've read that they need humidy about 70 and i haven't been able to raise it past 60 and then it drops quite quickly...my red foot also hides all under his hiding spot...is this normal????

Jennifer, Do you know how to contact the people who own the beasley site. I tried to Email them through the site but it came back. I agree with most of what they say on their site, but I have some questions. They recommend not feeding Collards because of Oxalic acid. It's my understanding that Collards have no oxalic acid. In fact my Vet. recommends Collards as a staple for tortoises (he studied and treated desert tortoises for a year in California, the university gave him one to keep when he left, lucky guy). They also recommend Strawberries which I understand to be high in Oxalic acid. So I would like to contact them to find out where they got their nutritional information.
Thanks,

Tim
Southampton Herps

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: