kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help! Star not eating!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on March 01, 2001 at 08:53:04:

In Reply to: Re: Help! Star not eating!! posted by ann on March 01, 2001 at 05:43:02:

Did your vet show you how to administer the antibiotics? If you just pour it down the throat there is good chance you could be getting it down the esophagus and it is spitting it back up. It is better to use a syringe and a no 5 or 8 french catheter to get it passed the esophagus. Outside of that make sure to keep it warm (80-100F)and well hydrated. (Keep in mind the the temps I'm recomending is the range that should be available.) Also monitor the weight. If it has good weight you don't have to worry too much about the feeding.
Good luck.
Ed

: the antibiotics are oral, i feed it with a teaspoon. but then he starts having this clear mucus, which the vet said that it's a reaction to the bitter taste. i'm not sure how he lost his teeth but he already has had five abcesses removed and another is forming under his eye. my vet recomended feeding it V-8 vegetable juice and beef broth by cambells. but he's still quite sluggish. i put him out in the garden for about forty-five mins and he was running around like normal, better than before the five abcess removal. he's still not eating!!!

: : Man if this crosses over to another list I'm screwed. If your vet recomended Baytril orally for your star you could run into problems. I normally recommend baytril given orally but there is documentation that certain species react badly to this (and it is not mentioned why) If it's lost its 'teeth' on one side we're probably talking major abcess. Find a herp vet. If you are using baytril orally use the injectable form an squirt it carefully in the mouth. (if we are talking abcess) Your best bet is to take it to another vet or have your present vet explain it better.
: : Keep the temperatures at 80 to 100F (range) and make sure it always has water.
: : Ed

: : : I broght my star tortise to the vet for abcesses and the vet recomended de-worming him, as well as some antibiotics (something that starts with b). after giving him the de-wormer, he's refused to eat and the vet hasn't rung me back! when i give him the antibiotics, he gets all mucousy at the mouth. he's also lost his teeth on one side (i've been away for a year and asked my maid to care for them) will they grow back? PLEASE HELP ME!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]