kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

WE GO TO COURT NEXT WEEK!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Prehistoric Pets Chino on February 26, 2001 at 22:10:03:

I just wanted to let everyone know we go to court March 5 for the red ear sliders. I reposted the message to let others see it just in case they missed it before. If you feel what happened was wrong please call and complain. Thanks.

I wanted to post this to inform and help stop the uneducated and misinformed Humane Society. A few days ago we were cited for a ticket. It was for selling Red Ear Sliders fewer than four inches to the public and for not posting correct signs about salmonella. The worst part about this was that the turtles were being sold only to teachers for educational purposes. These turtles were being housed in large aquariums with proper heating, uv lighting, and temperatures, in a perfect environment. We also had posted on each aquarium that they were only for educational purposes. The officer that was sent in did not have any idea what the laws and regulations were other than that turtles under four inches couldn't be sold. And the humane society is not allowed to enforce that law, only the FDA can enforce it. When we asked him to show us were it said what we were doing was wrong, he handed me a handbook. The handbook said that they could be sold and bought by educational facilities, such as schools, for educational purposes. This is exactly what we were selling them for. We also had signatures and names of all the teachers that had purchased the turtles. The officer did not care. He told me that it does not matter what the handbook says, that is for a judge to decide. He also said that the turtles would be immediately and humanely disposed of. I was wondering how they could be humane by stealing these from me without proper knowledge of the law, and just to kill them. These turtles were taken from a healthy environment to be killed by a HUMANE society. A few days after the ticket we took a water sample to be tested, and we went to the Humane Society to see if the turtles were alive and if so how they were being cared for. We were refused to be helped by the supervisor at the humane society and were told that the turtles were no longer ours. An employee of the humane society told us that her boss tried to give her 22 baby red ears, exactly what they took from us. But she denied them. We also had a customer try to file a complaint, but were also denied service from the humane society. They were told that the turtles were given to another pet store. They continue lying about what happened with these turtles, which are legally ours until after the court case. The water sample was tested by our vet and came up negative for salmonella. I would like to have your support in helping stop the ignorance of the humane society and also stopping a law against turtles that cause only 3% of all salmonella cases. Shouldn't there be regulations against the things that cause 93% of the cases, FOOD. Chicken, eggs, fish, and poultry make up almost all of salmonella cases, but because it tastes good nobody cares. It is not posted at any grocery stores that these foods can cause salmonella. The reptile industry is being abused by the humane society. Why are swap meets selling these turtles and keeping them in plastic cages under horrible conditions and places doing it right being harassed. I would appreciate if you could help by calling and writing letters to help stop this abuse. Call your local humane society and any others you can. Here is the number and extension of the manager that enforced our ticket. Call and leave a message telling him your opinions on this. Whether these turtles should be sold or not, they should never be taken away of a healthy environment to be killed. Thank you for your help.
POMONA VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETY AND S.P.C.A
500 Humane Way
Pomona, Ca 91766
(909) 623-9777 ext. 607

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title: