kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata respiratory infection help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim on February 22, 2001 at 12:52:26:

In Reply to: Sulcata respiratory infection help posted by Gary Bergeron JR on February 21, 2001 at 06:01:43:

: Hello, I bought a captive bread sulcata hatchling from nerd on Saturday the 10th of this month. The next day I noticed that he had bubbles coming out of his nose and was making popping noises. I took him to the vet and they gave me anti biotic injections to give him. Well it's been a week and a half now and he seems to be getting a little better but he still has a little bubbles coming out of his nose and he is still making popping noises. Not as much as before but he is still not well.

: How long does it take for them to pull out of this? The vet wants to see him in another week and a half. Should I bring him in sooner? I'm concerned that he should be much better than he is now. His cage temps are appropriate and he's eating and drinking fine.

: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
: -Gary

Dear Gary, it could take a couple of months for your tortoise to get well. Because of their slow metabolism it takes them a long time to get sick and a long time to get well. You need to look at the underlying reason for it's illness. Tortoises get respiratory infections because of weakened immune systems. This is usually caused be a vitamin A deficiency. Talk to your Vet. about that. I give my tortoises a product called turtle clear eyes. It's a vitamin A supplement in the form of a eye drop. My Vet recommends it and he specializes in tortoises (keeps them himself). A sick animal gets one drop in each eye and nostril once a day for twenty days. Healthy animals one drop in each eye once a month. I've seen this stuff clear up a respiratory infection by itself. It's made by Tetrafauna and you can get it at any good reptile pet store. I hope this helps.
Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]