kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Cherryhead not Eating ! !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Asleson on February 14, 2001 at 11:18:20:

I have 5 Cherryhead Redfoot Tortoises. Three are in one cage and are 3 year olds. One I purchased last Jan. through N.E.R.D. and the other two through George Ullmann at the National Breeders Expo. last August in Daytona, Florida. They are doing well, are about 5 1/2", and weigh around 1 pound each. The other two Cherryheads are in a different cage. I got them in early Dec. from Glades Herp. They were been Captive Raised in Brazil. They are two year olds, about 4", and weigh around 8 ozs. When I first got them they were doing great and eating very well. Then suddenly after Christmas one quit eating and the other started eating very little. I had a Fecal Check done and it came out that they had a few Pinworms and alot of Trichomonads. I brought the one into the Vet that wasn't eating at all and they did a physical on him. The vet gave me the medicines Panacur and Metronidazol to treat the Pinworms and Trichomonads. Both Tortoises received three treatments. Now about 10 days later the Cherryhead that was eating very little seems to be doing O.K. but the other Cherryhead that wasn't eating at all that also had the physical still isn't eating at all. He looks healthy and still weighs about 8 ozs. I keep one end of the cage at about 85 to 90 degrees with the other end around 75 to 80 degrees with a hide log in it. The humidity is around 60+ %. I soak them everyother day for 30 minutes and feed them right after the soak. I feed them a mixture of:cut-up Cactus Pads, Collard Greens, Kale Greens, Turnip Greens, Endive, alittle Broccoli, Carrots, alittle Cauilflower, Papaya, Strawberries, alittle Banana, Blueberries, Honeydew Melon, Cantaloupe Melon, Peach, Red Grapes. I have tried everything I can think of to get him to eat but nothing has worked. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get him to eat ?? It is now over a month since he has eaten basically anything ! ! I'm very, very worried about him.
Thanks for any Help ! !
Dave

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]