kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Baytril for Young Turtles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jon on February 10, 2001 at 23:01:47:

In Reply to: Baytril for Young Turtles posted by Kelly Manning on February 10, 2001 at 13:12:50:

: I have two adolescent box turtles that had gone off their food, were lethargic
: and would not open their eyes for long periods of time. I took them to the vet
: and he diagnosed them as having a vitamin deficiency. He prescribed Baytril
: injections every 24 hours. He prescribed 2 cubic ml of Baytril for the
: larger of the two, which weighed 50 grams. He also administered a shot of Injacom
: to each of them. The following morning, the larger, healthier of the two was
: dead. Could these drugs in conjunction or by themselves be toxic to one-year-old
: box turtles? He also has them listed in his files as pond turtles. They are in fact
: three-toed boxes. Please advise. Thank you.

kelly,
in my experience working as a vet tech for three years (no longer work as a vet tech) i have seen many a veterinarian attempt to be the master of all that they survey, by this i mean- a cocky vet believes he/she can heal all animals, including herps. It doesn't surprise me that the your vet misidentified your turtles. their were many times when i had to bite my tongue, when i heard blatantly false info coming from a so called professional. If a vet doesn't knowthe answer to your question, (from my xperience) he/she willthro some garbage at you in an attempt to show you their level of knowledge. As for baytril, i have used it on many occasions to rehabilitate injured tortioses and turtles, with some recoveries and some deaths. To the veterinary world, the broad spectrum antibiotic "Baytril" is the silver bullet for exotic type animals (exotic-meaning, little is known about the animal) for non-herp type vets- baytril is the automatic treatment for any injured or sick herp, the fact is baytril is an expensive drug, which does help some animals , but not all, buts its jus easier for a vet to prescribe a drug and get the clients money, in the false hope of a cure. My advice to you is to seek out a veterinarian who is trained in herpetology and exotic animals, but be careful, many clain to be--but are not. this is just my opinion from the other side of the door....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]