kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I've been thinking...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on February 10, 2001 at 12:57:20:

In Reply to: I've been thinking... posted by Carmen on February 09, 2001 at 22:02:05:

Hi Carmen,
both Russians and Leopards are very nice tortoises, I've kept both. Although I sent my leopards to Texas to Teresa from Turtle Cafe, as I decided to concentrate on other species.
Teresa is a good person to talk to re Leopard torts, as this is her favorite species.

Leopards do get quite a bit bigger than Russians and will eventually require quite a big enclosure.
But captive bred Leopard tortoises are readily available.
They are capable of reaching 100 lbs as adults, although most are usually a bit smaller.
Indoors each adult of 12" should have a minimum area of 5'-5', as yours would be indoors much of the time even bigger than that would be kinder to the tort.
Outdoors I would go for a much larger enclosure.

I keep a pair of Russian torts, they are wild caught but I've had no major problems with them. Both had worms when I got them, but apart from that they are healthy, active, friendly and really fun to watch.

As EJ said, if you choose Russians get a pair much more fun than one. And at some point they may breed .

Russians are wild caught, so the vet visit is extremely important. If you go for Russians pick the most active, alert, healthy looking and get them to a vet.

You could house two russians in a 6'- 6' enclosure.
Although I'm in favor of " The larger the better", but then again I'm lucky to be able to house my torts outdoors year round, not everyone lives in a climate that allows outdoor housing.
My Russian pair live in a 10'- 20' enclosure.

So leopard torts do get big something to consider. That cute little hatchling will eventually need quite a lot of space. But captive bred leopards are readily available.

Russians are much smaller and once they get used to you are a lot of fun. Mine although they are wild caught, ate from my fingers within a week of getting them.

However 99% of Russian torts available are wild caught. So you must look them over well, get them to a vet and watch for signs of illness.

There are other species such as the Hermann's tortoise, captive bred are available. This is a small atractive tortoise.Here are some photos:
http://www.slowcoach.org.uk/gallery/hermann/gal_herm.html

Here's some Russian tort photos:

http://www.slowcoach.org.uk/gallery/horsfld/gal_hors.html

And Leopard tortoise photos:

http://www.slowcoach.org.uk/gallery/leopard/gal_leop.html

Hope this helps.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: