kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Tried that, (endive, squash), temps 85-98f...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on February 10, 2001 at 12:19:09:

In Reply to: Tried that, (endive, squash), temps 85-98f... posted by Ryan on February 10, 2001 at 11:43:03:

(Here ya go guys/gals)(take note of this) The temps are too high. yup, that's what I said. Too high. The low end is just as important as the high. Try to get that 85 down to 75 so you have that range of 75 to 95/100. You will see that the little guy will regulate himself by sitting right under the heat source in the morning and gradually move away as the day goes on. Night time temps should not go below 75. That diet you listed is fantastic (except for the banannas) Does he have water at all times that he can access? Outside of what I just covered the little guy should be scrambling around like a maniac. Next step after this is some kind of internal problem that has been going on for a while. Work on these environmental parameters and see what happens first before you take it to the vet again. One other thing, make sure it is passing urates (white stuff) if and when you soak him. If not, have the vet x-ray him for stones.
Ed

: Thanks, I've offered everything from romaine, squash, endive, greens, grasses, clovers, orchard hay, prepared tortoise food (desperate attempt), bannana, to a preperation of fifteen different spring leaf vegetables.
: As for temps, I go with the 85 to 98 temp gradient. She sticks to the cool side except for an occasional sun bath on the warm side.
: Thanks again,
: Ryan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]