kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I've been thinking...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on February 10, 2001 at 10:43:59:

In Reply to: Re: I've been thinking... posted by Carmen on February 10, 2001 at 09:52:48:

Carmen, for starters, you can keep whatever turtle/tortoise you like where you live. (within local ordinances) Some species will require more work than others considering the longer winters. If you are willing to provide a suitable habitat indoors for a particular species there is no reason why you shouldn't (either way, who am I to say)
Both Russians and Leopards are good starter choices. Leopards are a little more delicate than russians. The leopards really don't like the low temperatures. They are also a little different in feeding. Russians are more along the lines of browsers(eating mostly annulars and occasionally grasses) Leopards are mostly grazers (eating mostly grasses and weeds)(once you look into it you'll see there is a subtle difference) Leopards are not really capable of hibernation, Russians are although I don't ever recomend it for them. You really have to know what you are doing and I don't think it is worth the risk. (at least for now) If you get russians they are cheap right now but you a guarenteed to be getting wild caught animals. If you go that route at least pick up a pair.(less than $100.00) Make sure you see them eating in front of you. Then if you do get them take them to the vet asap for a fecal at the very minimum (about $35.00 to $40.00)(and I'll bet he'll do them both for that)
If you go with a leopard you can get them from anywhere from $100.00 to $175.00 each for hatchlings. I sell mine for $150.00 Make sure you find a breeder that has been around or you buy the animal locally so the transaction is hand to hand. Don't trust the net. Richard Fife is another good reputable breeder of this species.
This should get you started. If you like you can email me privately but I prefer to keep it on the list so if I give you any disputable info you can get a rebuttle to it. Also others might have the same questions as you.
I hope this helps.
Ed

: I've been looking on the internet for information on both the leopard and the russian. Their info look very similar, am I missing something or is their husbandry similar. And would it make sense to have either one in Wisconsin. I don't have a problem setting them up indoors with a temporary set up outside for the summer. The pet store will be getting back to me on Wednesday regarding what their distributor has available, I am not going to get another turtle from them, I need to know were my turtle is coming from.

: Carmen

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]