kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

conclusion.............

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graham(UK) on February 08, 2001 at 13:27:44:

In Reply to: Re: reply........ posted by Maria on February 08, 2001 at 10:02:45:

From your answers Maria, a wholoe new ball game now erupts.

>How on earth would the pet store know that it was 12yrs old, if it's wild caught.
> On the assuption that it was a fresh import, it was proberbly FULL of worms/nematoeds, & therfore without treatment was sure to become ill.Who dewormed it, a vet or the pet shop.
> If the pet store had them on walnut, this shows how little they know about tortoise, judging from the other posts regarding the walnut problem.
> Who said that before you got it that it was eating well, "the pet shop owner"
> A friut diet is not advisable, as the sugery contents lend itself to a good medium for the "worms".
>Going from a fruit diet (pet shop) to a "green diet (Maria) may have been too quick a transistion for the stomach to handle.
>I notice that you've got other tortoise, theres a good chance that YOU passed a bug on to it from the Bells ect.

The conclusion is that there is no conclusion.

Torts live & die by our hands, & if your given the wrong advice by whom ever, & follow that advice then who's to blame.Them for giving it or you for not reading about the type of tort before your purchase.
You won't be the first to lose a tort by whoever's mistake & you certainly won't be the last.
All that you can do is to always buy your torts from people who know what they are doing, ie CB (captive bred animals)

Sorry for your loss, but this will make you more aware that pet stores are out to make money from you, good ones are by what it seems far & few between.

just my two penny worth.
Graham(UK)

: : : So as I said she was OK (and dewormed) in September, although I didn't have any bloodwork done, so by OK I mean her physically observable condition.
: : : She was in a 20 gal long tank

: : > Open topped or enclosed by a lid? Thing here on humidity levels.
: --Open topped.

: : on the crushed walnut bedding.
: : > unfamiliar with this in the UK, perhaps someone from your area could answer?
: --Well, they did. Pity I didn't ask about this while she was still alive:(

: : She had a basking light, so the warm part of the tank was in mid-80s farenheit temp range. She had water and I fed her lettuce/danelions/carrots/kala. She also had a night light, so I think the temperature at night stayed in the 70s.
: : >did you check with the previous owner if this was typical of their setup?
: --"Previous owner" was a pet store. They fed her a fruit-only diet. All they could tell me is to keep the tort warm with a temperature drop at night. I had the heating lamp because in the winter my room gets extremely cold.
: :
: : : She had actually slowed down starting in November, and when I asked around people (and the vet) said it's just her trying to hibernate.
: : > sounds reasonable.
: : : Is it possible that she was sick when I got her,
: : >yes, why did the previous owner want rid of her?
: --As I said - petstore. I believe she was freshly caught...

: : something that couldn't be identified by just inspecting the animal,
: : >this is where a full blood screen would be an advantage.
: --I'm taking my other tort to the vet next week for a blood screen, although he at least lived at the pet store for a year, and eats like a pig. With the Russian though, the vet said she looked healthy enough that she didn't think a blood screen would be *necessary*.

: : and the slowing down since November was not attempted hibernation?
: : >if she was indoors, your heat lamps etc would have caused her to think that it was summer all the year round.
: --Yep, but I heard their internal clocks do tell them it's winter, so they slow down but don't actually go into hibernation.

: : : So Q: What could cause kidney failure?
: : > many things here, need to be a vet to answer this one.

: : Where are you located?
: --New York.

:
: Thanks,
: Maria:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: