kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

reply........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graham(UK) on February 07, 2001 at 13:39:27:

In Reply to: Re: realaties......... posted by Maria on February 06, 2001 at 16:54:29:

: So as I said she was OK (and dewormed) in September, although I didn't have any bloodwork done, so by OK I mean her physically observable condition.
: She was in a 20 gal long tank

> Open topped or enclosed by a lid? Thing here on humidity levels.

on the crushed walnut bedding.
> unfamiliar with this in the UK, perhaps someone from your area could answer?

She had a basking light, so the warm part of the tank was in mid-80s farenheit temp range. She had water and I fed her lettuce/danelions/carrots/kala. She also had a night light, so I think the temperature at night stayed in the 70s.
>did you check with the previous owner if this was typical of their setup?

: She had actually slowed down starting in November, and when I asked around people (and the vet) said it's just her trying to hibernate.
> sounds reasonable.

: Is it possible that she was sick when I got her,
>yes, why did the previous owner want rid of her?

something that couldn't be identified by just inspecting the animal,
>this is where a full blood screen would be an advantage.

and the slowing down since November was not attempted hibernation?
>if she was indoors, your heat lamps etc would have caused her to think that it was summer all the year round.

: So Q: What could cause kidney failure?
> many things here, need to be a vet to answer this one.

Where are you located?

Graham(UK)
: Thanks very much for the reply,
: Maria

:
: : Ok, sincere condolences are fine, but lets look at the realities.
: : Vet said it was fine in Sept.
: : The tort was 12yr old.

: : Q. Are you able to ask vet for a post mortem/histology result?
: : Q. Something serious must have occured for a Russian to "pass on to the big green pasture", as they are tough little beasts.

: : Give us some info on the care/husbandry which you have been employing.

: : For a healthy Russian (sept) to die by Feb is a little quirky, unless it's kidney problems etc.

: : Graham(UK)

:
: :
: : : Thank you. She was the sweetest, cutest thing. I had her for half a year (she was 12 y/o or so when I got her), and when a vet saw her in September, the tort was fine. I just wish I knew if she was sick when I got her or if it's something I did.
: : : Maria

:
: : : : I know your tortoise probably meant a lot to you. Russians are sweet and can be very personable little guys, and it is so easy to get attatched to them. How old was it? How long had you had it? I'm sure other Russian owners on this forum will be able to help you in advising and consoling you. Again, I'm sorry about your loss and my thoughts are with you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]