kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata.....questions for big tort owners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Georgia on February 03, 2001 at 20:59:57:

In Reply to: Re: Sulcata.....questions for big tort owners posted by Giovanni on February 03, 2001 at 14:47:47:

I was waiting for that photo to completely open. After reading stuff from you, I fully expected to see King Karl's butt. Thanks for sparing us. LOL So you blast his butt do ya. I have done that also, chasing him around the yard, but never thought to strand Tonka on a bucket. Wheelbarrow...never thought of that either. Good idea. Needs to be something big to keep him in and that he can't push over or climb out of. When the kiddie pools start showing up in the stores, which should be soon, considering our 78 degree weather today, I'll buy a new one. I swear, these guys should be water turtles. Today he was all over us when we were out in the yard and following the water where ever. He had turned in for an afternoon snooze and my husband turned the sprinkler on and in a matter of minutes he was back out walking into the sprinkler, laying down and flipping his front legs like he was splashing the water on himself. After taking several hits in the face, he decided to turn around and let it sprinkle him from the back side. Gio...does Karl ram you? I bought a pair of garden clogs so Tonka won't go for my toes. I'm a barefoot kind of person and have to remember to use them. I always thought it was the polish he was going after but I guess not since you said Karl goes for your toes too, unless you paint them just for him..LOL.

: : A while back Gio mentioned cleaning King Karl's >mouth with power tooth brush...LOL. I'm curious >about the back end. Ours are outside 24/7 and >pretty much on their own, grazing and >drinking/soaking....what about the back side? >Are we the only ones whose torts, well how to >put this nicely, could stand a good scrubbing? >I mean how much do you do with a 30 lb. torts >rear end?

: I put him on a bucket and blast it with a hose. I also have a pump water bottle that compresses air in it and I use that too. I do this only durning the warm months and I also soak him in a wheelbarrow to evict anything that may have take residence under the tail area.

: >Do any of you have this with your large >sulcatas?

: Karl pretty much keeps to himself unless it is warm and I'm out doing something in the yard. Then he generally is a nosey pain in the postierior. Has to get right involved of whatever it is I'm doing. Other then that, (besides the occassional toe chomp) he likes to come by and sit next to us to have his chin scratched. He is fiercley independent and does everything on his own terms and doesn't like me lifting him and stuff ( but I have to sometimes).

: Ciao'

: Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]