kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

To EJ on Humane Society thread

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on February 01, 2001 at 23:00:58:

Ed,
I will not make jump down your throat and assume that you are commenting on my teaching style or methods. I am hoping that you wouldn’t assume that an occasional confrontational attitude on lists/posts defines all there is to know about me, especially that of my profession. Adults and children are two different animals, my friend. If you want me to list my methods and explain my philosophy of education, then I will email you off-list. Whilst we are on the subject, here is a review exercise, as my posts were obviously unclear.

Did I post that I thought turtles or animals should never be in the classroom?
Did I say all turtles or animals should be banned?
Did I say that all pet stores were bad?
Did I say teachers should not purchase turtles? Did I say that the 4-inch law is a good one? Did I say more control is better?
Do you know that I don't keep animals in our (not my) classroom?
No.

I posted my confrontational response based on one thing.
I posted that I had visited Prehistoric Pets Fountain Valley. The experience was terrible and the owner saw nothing wrong.
I never returned. I stated that I found it hard to be sympathetic to a store such as that.
I was then informed that the Chino and Fountain Valley store are no longer affiliated. I apologized and told him, that if he was indeed following the law then yes, he was being screwed.

On a side note, I know who David is and he and Amy’s dad sound like exceptional teachers. Many teachers are too lazy or too “educated” to read care sheets, websites, or books on the care of the animals. Many see them as disposable and care provided is minimal. Some simply lack time or desire to care for the animals properly. Did I say all? No...

I also posted on the state of reptiles/turtles/animals and schools. Perhaps I should have made the connections more clearly for you.
1. Many (and more and more) districts in lawsuit prone California do not allow reptiles or any pets in the classroom. I worked for a district that allowed mammals but specifically prohibited reptiles. (The school also banned bicycles and homemade cupcakes, but that is another conversation.)
2. Most teachers I know in Southern California are not allowed to keep turtles in their classrooms.
3. Chino must have a high teacher to turtle ratio.
Of course, the last line is meant to be interpreted with sarcasm. I just find it difficult to believe that since reptile keeping in the classroom is allowed so rarely now that all of those turtles were sold to teachers.
If this guy really wants to do something about it, then he should organize and fight to change the 4-inch law.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]