kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My mistake then about your store if that is the case, but

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on February 01, 2001 at 09:31:23:

In Reply to: Re: My mistake then about your store if that is the case, but posted by Amy C on February 01, 2001 at 03:18:08:

THIS is the description of a good teacher. THIS is the kind of teacher I really respected as a kid and now. I've also learned that kids respond to this kind of teacher. I also have a good idea of the work involved to become (and maintain) this kind of teaching style (another reason why I don't become a teacher) I've seen this kind of teacher in History, Math and a few other subjects that do not have quite so easy to stimulate the learning process as biolog.(only because there are more options)(now)(but there are folk that seem to be trying to eliminate one of the main options.)
Kudos to your dad and teachers like him. It is noticed and is appreciated.
Ed
(who, if you hadn't noticed, has an extreme respect for the teaching profession)

: First off, my father is a teacher in Ohio school systems and animals in the district where he teaches (suburb of Dayton) are welcome in the classroom. Many elementary teachers have fish tanks and other furry and feathered friends. The middle school teachers and high school teachers also, have animals.

: In my father's classroom (he teaches biology, field biology, and Ohio ecology)... he has a 55 gallon fish tank with Ohio fish in it, taken from our pond and stream for the most part. A few from the pet store (Carp (comets) and a few catfish). He also has a 29 gallon with a few rats, and a 20 gallon with mice. He also has an Eastern Garter Snake, and 2 Cornsnakes (a 3 year old and a hatchling). He keeps a 40 breeder of turtles species, including 3 juvie (4") RES, a YBS, and a painted turtle. He has a gerbil and a rabbit. And also a Northern Fence Lizard and 2 Leopard Geckos. All have the proper set-up, and even more than neccessary, and he has 5 student aides that rotate each month that helps him with the proper maintainence.

: He has gained proper licensure to allow us to keep a red-tailed hawk (Helen, named after Helen Keller) at our home and use her for educational purposes. She has congenital cataracts, that makes hunting for food impossible. She either had to be used for educational purposes or euthanized, we chose the former because of her wonderful temperment. He also has obtained a license to band wild animals (usually birds, including birds of prey, but others also). Helen visits school each semester and bird banding is done each semester, also.

: Now, with the 3 classes he teaches (Biology, Field Biology, and Ohio Ecoology) having animals in the class room, allows him to use visual aids. He has to cover the topics of invertebrates, fish, birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, etc... and studies show when kids have hands on experience they learn better.

: "I hear, and I forget.
: I see, and I remember.
: I do, and I understand."
: -Unknown

: Granted, he isn't the norm in teaching. But many teachers, at least in this area, understand the great value of having animals in the classroom. And so do the districts that employ them, because my dad has did demos for many surrounding districts with Helen and bird banding.

: Next, I work at a pet store and I am proud of it. The store where I work has signs placed in plain view of customers explaining the laws when it comes to the sale of native and non-native reptiles, a description of salmonella and how it's spread, and a verbal explanation as well as a written copy is given with each inquiry.

: We don't sell anything we can't by law, nor would we. We don't carry RES or painteds, except during pond season, and we don't carry any under 5 inches. We will not sale any snake that gets so big that it needs to eat anything other than a large rat. We also don't care dogs or cats. We believe in putting customer safety and happiness above profit. We often *refuse* to sale animals, because a customer isn't willing to do what it takes to provide proper care. This is why we have such a strong loyalty from our customer base.

: All employees attended "classes" where we discuss proper care and maintenence of the animals we carry, and many we don't. The employees know not to "make up answers for a sale". If they don't know, they find a more knowledgeable employee who can give an honest answer. And most importantly it is drilled in the employee heads that "the animal comes first!!!" We clean every cage 4-6 times a week, depending on what's being housed.

: So not all pet stores "smell of urine" and are willing to break the law for a sale. I'm insulted that you think everyone puts profit above animals. I can guarentee you the store that employs me, *does not!*

: Amy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]