kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

sorry about double-posting, but. THE NERVE! . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on January 31, 2001 at 11:36:28:

In Reply to: Re: Leg deformity in Red Foot posted by sther on January 31, 2001 at 11:17:54:

I know this is none of my business, but it REALLY bothers me that your friend is trying to SELL you the sick tortoise. If anything, he should GIVE it to you, along with whatever set-up they can provide, because the vet bills you may be seeing could be quite large. I got a pet store to give me two baby sulcatas for FREE because they KNEW that they had taken poor care of them and they were dying and sick; the store KNEW that the vet bills and care I would be getting to try to save the lives of these little ones would be astronomical. The pet store gave me an older set up, including two lights, apologised for their lack of decent care and wished me luck with Giselle and Angel Baby.

I'm sure if you can do anything to help this poor redfoot tortoise that you will, and that if your friend were to ask for it back after it is healthier, you would be likely to give it back, with proper care instructions for your friend to follow, of course. I guess the principal of the thing just gets to me.

Rehoming the tortoise is another good idea, just the new caretaker should NOT be charged for it since they will incur more bills and hassle then your friend has ever put into it! In that situation, it is as if your friend is acting like just another pet store who complacently miscares for an animal, and then tries to pass the buck to someone else for a profit knowing that the animal isn't healthy to begin with!

Again, I'm sorry that I butted in since I know this is none of my business, but I hate to see someone charged a price so that they can try to turn around and save an animal's life. I paid over $600 in vet bills for Giselle alone and she died despite my best efforts and it was heartbreaking. For Angel Baby, there has been way over $2,000 in multiple vet bills (over 3 years, and NYC's overcharging of anyghing, of course) but she has lived, outgrown her health problems and delighted me beyond ANY investment; she is a beautiful pearl without a price. That's probably the reason why I'm worked up about your friend's fifty bucks. I know the love and care you will shower on this sick tortoise is well worth beyond that amount and he should recognise that.

: : I need some help...

: : A friend of a friend contacted me to ask if I could help his red foot (He knows I have a Sulcata). I haven't seen the tortoise, but this is what he told me. He says the tort's hind legs are much smaller than the front legs. He can stand on them, but he doesn't use them to walk. His shell is also deformed towards the back end. I am assuming this is probably a nutritional problem. I don't know why, but I forgot to ask him about his light and heat.

: : Here's a little background on the little guy. He got the tort, along with a yellow foot for his daughter 2 Christmases ago when the torts were several months old. The red foot (and the yellow too I think) is about 5 inches. He admits to not doing any research on their care. He has been feeding them fruits, green peppers, and sometimes some Romaine and grass from the yard. The yellow foot is very shy, but physically healthy, according to him. The red foot is friendly and active, but has the leg problems.

: : First of all, could someone please supply me with a good red and yellow foot care sheet? He definitely wants to keep the yellow foot, and he says he will provide it with the proper food and environment. Like I said, I have a Sulcata, and I only know a little bit about red foot care.

: : As for the red foot, he says I can have it for $50 bucks if I can save it. Is this problem treatable? Will he have a good quality of life? He is willing to put him to sleep, if that's best. Does anybody know anything about this condition?

: : I would appreciate any help,
: : Joanna

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]