kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Leg deformity in Red Foot

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on January 31, 2001 at 08:44:52:

In Reply to: Leg deformity in Red Foot posted by Joanna on January 30, 2001 at 21:41:17:

Joanna, don't pay the guy a dime for the animal. (unless you REALLY need to save it). There is a chance it can be corrected but not a good one. It sounds like Metabolic bone disease (not enough calcium or the components to metabolize it. (D3, heat, water)) By adding these or paying more attention to them you might be able to correct the problem. The deal is that the legs attach on either side of about the 2nd central scute from the rear. If the shell is weak there the attach point will be weak and so on. (just so you know what's going on)
Some lists where you can find decent care sheets are Melissa Kaplans web page, the California Turtle and tortoise club (CTTC) and Tortoise Trust. You can find these easy enough searching for their respective keywords.
Offer to care for it but don't buy it. It is going to cost you about 100 bucks to get it properly evaluated by a vet for a good course of action. (you know, x-rays and all).
Good luck.
Ed

: I need some help...

: A friend of a friend contacted me to ask if I could help his red foot (He knows I have a Sulcata). I haven't seen the tortoise, but this is what he told me. He says the tort's hind legs are much smaller than the front legs. He can stand on them, but he doesn't use them to walk. His shell is also deformed towards the back end. I am assuming this is probably a nutritional problem. I don't know why, but I forgot to ask him about his light and heat.

: Here's a little background on the little guy. He got the tort, along with a yellow foot for his daughter 2 Christmases ago when the torts were several months old. The red foot (and the yellow too I think) is about 5 inches. He admits to not doing any research on their care. He has been feeding them fruits, green peppers, and sometimes some Romaine and grass from the yard. The yellow foot is very shy, but physically healthy, according to him. The red foot is friendly and active, but has the leg problems.

: First of all, could someone please supply me with a good red and yellow foot care sheet? He definitely wants to keep the yellow foot, and he says he will provide it with the proper food and environment. Like I said, I have a Sulcata, and I only know a little bit about red foot care.

: As for the red foot, he says I can have it for $50 bucks if I can save it. Is this problem treatable? Will he have a good quality of life? He is willing to put him to sleep, if that's best. Does anybody know anything about this condition?

: I would appreciate any help,
: Joanna

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]