kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata baby not eating, will die soon I'm afraid!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on January 27, 2001 at 15:40:30:

In Reply to: Sulcata baby not eating, will die soon I'm afraid!!!! posted by Kendoko on January 27, 2001 at 13:25:06:

Kendoko,
I suggest you read Marissa's care sheet.
In case the link doesn't work, her site is here
http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/sulcatacare.html

You environment is not perfect.

: 10 gallon tank, heating pad on low underneath (not touching glass, towel), small heat lamp for full spectrum (special zoomed bulb),
A ten gallon is too small for a heating pad and a heat lamp. There is no way you can create the temperature gradient (variations) he needs.
You may literally fry this guy in there. Do you have a thermometer to regulate the temps?
He needs a cool area of about 70-75 degrees and then a hot area of mid 80's-100.. (This temp varies depending on who is discussing it with you on this forum.)
He needs to be able to escape the heat and retreat to the cool end.
Do you have a heat lamp and a separate full spectrum light or do you have the Active UV - I'm a little confused on your lighting.

I would get rid of the tank and go out and purchase a large rubbermaid under bed storage box. This will give him more floor space and you will have more spaceto create a temperature gradient.

:fine wood chips for bedding (bought at pet store),
I would not use those personally. I would use hay or a dirt/sand mixture. Others use care fresh or alfalfa pellets. I've used neither, so I can't comment.

:shallow water dish which he enjoys
Good.

:some moss here and there to absorb moisture,
Don't know why you have that, he needs a dry, warm environment so moisture shouldn't be there.

:small cave made out of stones.
Okay, if he uses it.

:I spray every mornin?
What do you spray and why? He doesn't need and should not be in a humid environment.

:I offer him lettuce and he won't have any.
He needs a varied diet of different greens, just not lettuce. Iceburg has virtually no nutritional value, so don't feed that. At minimum he should have a mixed greens salad of things like Watercress, romaine, chickory, etc, not just lettuce.

Has he had a vet check up?

He is obviously not comfortable or is stressed in some way. Sulata seem to rarely have issues of not eating.
I would change the enclosure, buy two thermometers so you can check temperatures at both ends, create cool and hot zones, change the substrate, and offer a varied diet.

Please repost if you have more questions.

Heather

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]