kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: You're Kidding Me, I thought you LOVED to argue?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on January 23, 2001 at 15:15:40:

In Reply to: You're Kidding Me, I thought you LOVED to argue? posted by Marissa on January 23, 2001 at 14:20:18:

If you you use basicly the same temps why do you recomend lower than what I do? Also, as mentioned in the past, there is no need to 'provide' a temperature drop at night. Unless the system is on a thermostaticly controlled heat source there is going to be a natural drop in temperature at night.
I am definately missing something because I haven't seen any posts related to over-heating.
Get hold of that paper I mentioned earlier and you'll see the point I'm trying to get across. These animals rely on heat for the normal metobolic processes to work.
Now, size of enclosure. I'm using 36"L 16"W and 12"H (Rubbermaid)(3 bucks each because the lids were missing)(I look for deals like that) I have and Active UV heat bulb clipped to one end. The bottom of the bulb is even with the edge of the enclosure. This gives me the range I recomend and maybe a little lower. Then there is speedy the abused sulcata. Her heat source is 8" above the substrate but as you said she will move closer or further depending on time of day. So, there is no way to cover all the situations for all the species for all the areas where these animals are kept. Once again this is why I recomend 75 to 100F range. How that is accomplished is of no concern as long as the animal has control. If you limit the upper end you limit the animals control.
Ed

: Not to say that in the ideal setup, your information would certainly apply, and I am not paging back through this forum's posts. BUT, from the large amounts of private "help me" emails I consistently get on a weekly basis, I have come across mostly overheating situations that have been remedied by lowering temps or providing the right kind of enclosure with the temp range that you recommend. I have come across very few people that are underheating. I think that mainly especially with desert animals people ask the pet shop person what to do and they always recommend a UTH, a heat bulb, maybe a covered combo heat/UV cover, NEVER talk about soaking...so newbies I've worked with are always more inclined to overheat rather than underheat based on popular, if incorrect, information given to them by sources not very knowledgeable about each species. I currently use the temps in my indoor pen that you recommend, but then again, I can because my pen is setup properly and spacious enough that I don't have to worry about overheating. I think your temps are the correct range pretty much, but I think many people don't have the right enclosures to safely accommodate a temp range such as that.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]