kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Checking my husbandry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marissa on January 22, 2001 at 20:54:04:

In Reply to: Checking my husbandry posted by Ryan on January 22, 2001 at 20:49:44:

First of all, you say UVB for the basking site...almost all but one heat bulb DO NOT give off UVB...that must be provided by fluorescent UVB lighting. What type of bulb do you have for the basking?

Also sounds like your temp gradient is not low enough in the low end. I'd drop it to mid 70's in the cool end for daytime and mid 70's for nighttime all over the pen. You can either raise the heat lamp or lower the bulb wattage to achieve a cooler gradient...or get/build a bigger pen. If you don't have an ActiveUV heat and UVB combo bulb..then your heat bulb is not giving off necessary UVB rays. The ActiveUV bulbs are about $50 and not available in most pet shops.

Take a look at my care sheet below...

: I have a young sulcuta that I bought for my wife. I keep many herps, and knew what I was getting into. I love this guy, and want to make sure I am doing everything right, and that his behavior is normal. I keep him in a rubbermaid with a Lizard Litter substrate. I soak him once a day, at which time he usualy defecates. I feed him endive, greens, and alfalfa, with cuttle bone, which I don't think he touches. I have a large peice and many smaller ones. He has a hide, which he uses on occasion. In his basking site (UVb)it is 94, with a gradient down to 85. I cover him at night, and the temps drop to upper 70's. He sleeps alot, rotating around the perimeter of his enclosure, doing the "I look dead" (head and arms sprawled out)thing when he is under the light. He sleeps mostly, occasionally stirring for a stroll, and a bite to eat. He does not eat with the same furvor as when I first got him. I thought they were supposed to be eating machines? After first frost I am going to make him an outdoor enclosure, predator safe, and grow Turtle Cafe mix.
: How am I doing? How is he doing? He just seems lethargic, but I am used to aquatics, who are non-stop.
: Thanks,
: Ryan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]