kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: desert tort...I need more help guys.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Annie Lancaster TortoiseAid on January 19, 2001 at 19:56:55:

In Reply to: desert tort...I need more help guys. posted by matt on January 19, 2001 at 15:41:03:

Hi, I answered all of your questions ina previous post, please scan down...to find the answers. I'll be flat out honest with you. If you are not living in an EXTREMLY arid area of Idaho, the tortoise IS going to DIE. Period. Keeping ift for an extended period of time outside of it's natural habitat...while in the short run may work....99% o the time DOES NOT WORK in the long run. We will place desert torts in only 6 surrounding couties here.

The most humane thing to do would be to get this tort back into a climate hich is suitable for it...which will give it the best chance for survival. Sure, you can set up a dehumidifier, but....what are you going to do when that tortoise is 20 opounds and has a SCL of 15+ inches?

DT's do not (as is the case with most all tortoises) belong in a terrarium...when ill, yes, by all means, and when necessary to protect hatchling animals. They roam great distances....keeping a DT in a terrarium is like being placed in jail.

Please consider placing the tortoise within a desert climate if you really DO care about it, to give it the best possible chance at survival. BTW, NO, as answered in my previous post, you are NOT going to be able to obtain a permit....they are NOT issued unless you are a bonified research/institution/other facility working with these animals, and in that case, need permits before even receiving animals.
You won't get in trouble for finding it, but, you may for keeping it...that I do not know. I can ask my warden what a proper protocol would be if you would like me to.

Please e-mail me directly with any questions.
Annie
: I wrote a few days ago and have found a desert tort that is having some problems. I need to find a place to register it in the state, if I even can. I dont want to take it into a vet and be blamed for taking the pet out of it's natural habitat. I dont know weather or not I need to register it or wqeather a vet will take care of it without registration papers. I nnow that it is an endangered species but I also know that I cant release it. I know for sure that it a desert tortoise I have done as much research as you could do. thank you all for your links they helped. I just need to find out how best to take care of him. If you know of anywhere online I can go to register him I would appreciate it. I havent been able to find a local place online or in the phone book but maybe I'nm not looking in the right places. I want to get him registered as soon as possible. Oh by the way do any of you know what kind of a dehumidifier I need is there a special one for pets or should I just get one for the whole room while they are inside...I'm new at all of this, but I am having fun. I just want it to be healthy and happy. Just so you know I am no longer allowing it to hibernate (while in the house) I'll figure something better for it next year.
: Thank you guys for your help
: Matt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]