kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I know it's a desert tortoise and I need to know if it's sic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Annie Lancaster-TortoiseAid on January 17, 2001 at 21:20:01:

In Reply to: Re: I know it's a desert tortoise and I need to know if it's sic posted by tcc on January 17, 2001 at 18:42:20:

Hello again.

You are not going to be able to get a permit from Idaho OR California, AZ, NV, NM OR UT for that matter.
This is the species I work with the most out here...I know this from experience.
As far as puffy eyes....yes, you are correct not to hibernate. Desert torts don't typically show respiratory problems until they're darned near dead. And then...sadly it's too late. This tortoise needs to be a BONE dry atmosphere, not just "inside" so to speak....getting the humidity down into the single digits is going to be a necessity.
The eyes may be due to calcium deficiency, or infection...from a respiratory problem that is now surfacing.

DO NOT allow a veterinarian to give this tortoise a shot of Vitamin A....desert tortoises are EXTREMELY sensitive to vitamin A toxicity. It's often fatal.

Do not soak this animal...instread syringe water into it's mouth and allow it to swallow. Putting them in water (desert torts) when ill only makes them sicker. Even better than water would be Pedialyte.

Get a dehumidifier...it is going to need that FOREVER if you aren't living an EXTREMELY arid area. I will not place a tortoise outside of a desert climate even within California. Very often it's a death sentence, becausae they are so very sensitive to humidity as well as temperatures.

Offer any grasses you can find...even if dried...but remember that hydration right now is far more important than food.

The vet should use Baytril as a drug of choice for a respiratory infection, injected, NEVER oral! The tortoise should also have a fecal...direct smear as well as flotation for parasites.

In addition, it is a FELONY to release this tortoise to the wild.

Offer a basking area of about 82F, and a cool end of about 75 for now...make certain any hide box, etc. you provide in the COOL end of he enclosure.

An opthalmic eye ointment is also going to be inportant...the vet can take a culture from the eyes if necessary to see which preparation is going to be the most effective.
You may want to consider getting this tortoise into a much drier, suitable climate. Desert tortoises don't usually live long in foreign environments...
Regarding possible Calcium deficiency....if the jaw looks undershot or overshot, it may possibly be an indication of past dietary deficiency.

There is information at the following link for dietary care of desert tortoises and other aris species tortoises.

If you have any questions at all regarding legalities, captive care/veterinary issues please feel free to contact me.

Regards, and best of luck!
Annie (In the Mojave Desert)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]