kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Can you fence it$$?? Probably not, but here's why I don't say anything ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on January 16, 2001 at 12:24:06:

In Reply to: Can you fence it$$?? Probably not, but here's why I don't say anything ... posted by Niki on January 16, 2001 at 08:29:10:

Amazing how much people have in common, and what a small world this is.
I grew up in the Middle East, Bahrain, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi and Dubai nothing to do with the military either, oil.
I speak fluent Arabic (Gulf dialect), I also lived in England, Spain, Greece, Italy, France, Germany and Switzerland, Jakarta and Singapore. Nothing to do with the military.

Now, thanks to the military I live in Hawaii, (willingly), we chose Hawaii and live in military housing and I don't see any barbed wire. In fact we could have left here years ago and gone to Europe or the Middle East. We chose to stay, a big part of that was because of the torts and the reason we recently purchased a house on the Big Island. Our neighbors are willingly moving to Italy next month. Gone are the days when sailors are hijacked from port bars, slugged over the head only to wake up aboard ship heading who knows where!
Another thing we have in common is our dedication to out torts. Although I realize that my sulcatas will have to be rehomed if we moved to a cold state.

I've had the experience of trying to keep a sulcata indoors, albeit only overnight. Not in a 10 gallon tank, although to a sulcata of that size the spare room is comparable to a small tank. Neither offer enough room for this active species.

No matter where you live, or how you came to live there or where you might move to.
If you keep sulcatas , housing them indoors as fully grown adults is going to be a challenge. Something you can't fully appreciate unless you've done it.

Once again, it can be done and people do it, it takes time, money and a lot of hard work But for many people housing a 150 lb tortoise indoors isn't an option, it just won't work for them, or the tortoise.
If you're lucky enough to have the financial means, the room and are willing to do everything you can to hang on to the tortoise, that's great.

Not everyone is that lucky.

Thank goodness there are adoption organizations, willing to help overwhelmed keepers of ever growing sulcatas to find new homes for their torts. When they realize that although they had good intentions, it's proving tougher than they imagined to have such a large animal roaming around their house.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]