kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Ignorance

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BrianB on January 12, 2001 at 15:57:37:

In Reply to: judgemental opinions. posted by EJ on January 10, 2001 at 23:36:54:

I think that one thing everyone is overlooking is the power of ignorance. People buy giant herps because they're big, including sulcatas, green igs, burmese pythons, retics, etc. But, they don't consider the needs of the animal. It's sad, but true, that a LOT of people buy animals with only their own interests in mind, and many don't bother to do the requisite research either before or after the purchase. That's where people like Marissa come in, and her frustration is understandable.

With the easy availability of all kinds of information on the web, alot of us regular forum goers(ok, I'm not a regular on this forum :) kind of take it for granted that the information is available. Here's an example I just got from Animal Planet as I was reading these posts that illustrates the lack of what most herpers consider basic knowledge:

A lady and her five year old son bring an injured box turtle they found to a vet. (This is the emergency vet show.) The poor thing has what looks like a hole from a bb or pellet gun in its shell. While the doctor looks at the wound, the mom tells him that her boy has been wanting a turtle, and she'd told him he couldn't have one until he was seven. But, since he'd found this turtle, she supposes that he wished hard enough to have his way. In other words, she's giving a wild-caught box turtle to a five year old boy. Now, the vet said something like, "I'll be you have a lot of questions," and I'm sure he gave the mother some information, as he's a herp-loving guy (as seen on other episodes.) But, the next scene after the diagnosis is the mom walking out with the boy carrying the turtle in an open rubbermaid box, with some trite voiceover about "the best place for a sick turtle is with his boy," or close enough.

Maybe this turtle found a good home. I sort of wonder, but we'll give mom and the vet the benefit of the doubt -- if the turtle is under the vet's care, he'll probably do OK. (Again, this vet is a herp keeper himself.) However, wouldn't it be nice if someone with a concience took the time to iterate a few basic facts:

1. Turtles and five year olds aren't a particularly good mix...can we spell salmonella? How about: "Be sure to wash your hands before and after handling your turtle, young man." (I like to add the "before" for the herp's benefit :)

2. Or, how about: "Wild-caught turtles (or any other animal) don't make great pets. They may not adjust well to captivity, and are probably loaded with parasites. Why don't you release this guy when his shell's all better, and buy a captive bred turtle when you're older?"

Ok, I'm not a turtle expert, but you all get the drift. It kind of galls me to see a woman who can't even identify a box turtle, easily one of the most identifiable turtles in the country, adopt a wild-caught one as a pet for her five year old, without any attempts at dissuading her or educating her shown on air...

Just another example of ignorance in action. I personally think that anyone who can be discouraged from owning a giant herp should be discouraged. Given that, once someone has gotten any herp, even those which are poor choices for their climate, level of experience, etc, should recieve a minimum of ethics lecture and a maximum of husbandry knowledge...and those who are wise enough to seek information before a purchase should be blessed...and then discouraged. =)

Hope this doesn't offend, just a few thoughts from the peanut gallery, as the show coincided so well with the thread I happened to be reading. Sorry for butting in and for preaching to the choir.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]