kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata temp requirements/Ownership rights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on January 12, 2001 at 01:06:07:

In Reply to: Sulcata temp requirements/Ownership rights posted by Jerry Fife on January 11, 2001 at 23:18:26:

Hi Jerry, thanks for that post.

Under ideal conditions I'm sure small sulcatas can handle a wider range of temperatures.
However if a sulcata is kept in a fish tank at such high temperatures I don't think it would last too long.
Or if it were left in a small outdoor enclosure overnight in the wind and rain with no shelter.

Many people who are new to tortoises and follow the pet stores advise, house their hatchling/baby sulcatas in tanks.
In such a tiny mostly enclosed space, extremely high temperatures just don't work.
The tortoise is stuck in the tank without a gradient and with no escape.

Same thing in a small outdoor enclosure. With nowhere to retreat to if it pours with rain or turns cold and chilly.

Either situation could prove fatal to the small sulcata.

I just took in a little sulcata that had been housed outdoors day and night.He had respiratory problems and was very poorly when I got him.
I live in Hawaii, it's not too cold but does rain unexpectedly and can get chilly at night.
Now fully recovered, he goes out during the day, comes in late afternoon.

So I always think better to be safe than sorry when giving advise on temperatures.

If you recommend temperatures in excess of 100 degrees without knowing that the person is housing the sulcata in a 10 - 20 gallon tank. Well that would be a disaster.

Same thing if you recommend or mention that they can do just fine at low overnight temps. Then find out the person has put them outside in the cold because you mentioned that they can survive lower temperatures.
That's the reason I ( and maybe others although I can't speak for them) recommend temperatures that aren't too excessive.

Plus there's no time in every post to go through everything you did in yours!! :)

Jerry wrote:
African Spurred Tortoises (G. sulcata) can handle a much wider temperature range than generally reported. The temperatures generally recommended by various individuals or organizations are "ideal" temperatures under captive conditions. I agree that hatchlings should be kept at a temperature in the 80s, with a slight drop being acceptable at night, however they can handle a much wider range of temps. They will not grow as fast or be as active in cooler temperatures, but they can handle much colder temps, especially if allowed to warm up during the day

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]