kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: judgemental opinions.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patty on January 11, 2001 at 14:40:04:

In Reply to: Re: judgemental opinions. posted by CC on January 11, 2001 at 12:23:35:

Hello,

Well, I'm very new to the boards (I've had my hatchling, Eastern Box, for almost 3 months) but I must say that many, most notably on the KINGSNAKE TURTLE BOARD, people feel the need to be what I would consider pretentious when it comes to advice. I do not go onto that board for advice any longer but I do find this board much friendlier. I agree with CC...people who own the tortoises already know what they are getting into AND it is possible to create a comfortable environment for animals. I really like this board so that is all I am going to say. Thanks.

: This is why I ALMOST NEVER post here for help. I own a male sulcata, about 25 pounds. And guess what? I live in Boston. I go out of my way to make him comfortable and provide for him what he needs. It isn't easy, but I knew the responsibility when I bought him and I was willing to take that on.

: I, like you, EJ am an optimist. I understand why you are not, Marissa. However, the people who own Sulcatas come to this forum for help. They already OWN the tortoise, why scare them or make them feel bad with these types of opinions?

: I say this because whenever I have asked for help in the past, first I get blasted for having the tort in the northeast, then maybe I get some help. I think this is a shame. I only have my torts best interest in mind.

: Maybe the people who gave up their torts didn't or couldn't make the effort to take care of their Sulcatas. But that's no reason to take it out on those of us in the Northeasat who do. And there are plenty of us.

: cc

: : I'm not saying that you should change your opinion. You're entitled.
: : I don't think I've ever said someone was wrong in their opinion. I do tend to disagree with some folk on certain key points in turtle/tortoise husbandry but that's about it. I just provide the suggestion and assume the reader knows what to do with the info.
: : As far as placing Sulcatas, I can place all you have to offer. Heck, I'll even take a few. Anyone else here want a FREE sulcata? Remember, they do get BIG.
: : Ed

: : : Hey Ed, sorry if you disagree with me but you are one of the most judgemental people I probably know on the web and nobody begrudges you your opinions. Maybe you just aren't seeing the huge amounts of sulcata "help" rescues that I am here on the East Coast...it is a REAL problem that people just don't seem to realize since the baby sulcata are so cute. You are in CA so it's easy for you to rationalize...how about someone in an apartment somewhere or a small house somewhere in the North where it is only really good weather for sulcata maybe 3 months of the year like it is near me...can you really imagine the work and money and time it would take to even be ABLE to house an adult sulcata in your home for MOST of the year??? Pretty scary when you think about it, and I know better than anyone because I had to do it too. I can honestly say I have probably helped arrange interim foster care and do adoptions and help arrange spring adoptions for maybe 10 sulcata just this month alone. That should show you how at least the majority of people are willing to go the extra mile. Most of them just plain don't realize either. Maybe, I'll tell you the story of a sulcata I just helped in a rescue...it had been in "hibernation" for the past three months until the owner came upon some good info on the 'web. Lucky to be alive. Yes it costs alot of money to have a child over the course of 18 years....not 75 though. Also, children CAN live in a house for most of the year and can put on jackets and sweaters when it's cold out. There are much better choices of tortoise for folks like me in this climate at least for now. I'm sorry if you disagree but I will not alter my opinion...based on what I have been seeing even just lately, I feel I am justified.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]