kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: 'lumpy' shell?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on January 03, 2001 at 13:19:17:

In Reply to: 'lumpy' shell? posted by karl on January 03, 2001 at 12:38:58:

Try bumping up the temperatures to provide a range of 75 to 100 F and see what happens. Also make sure they have a water dish with clean water at all times.
Another thing to consider is seperating them to allow the female to get a good meal at feeding time.
Ed

: hi,
: i have 2 russians about 3 yrs old. the male eats well and is growing nicely since i got him. his carapace has an overall smooth feel to it. the female (who i said in previous postings is being bullied by him) doesn't eat nearly as much and has grown little since i got them both. recently i have become increasingly concerned by what looks like her carapce is bumpy and uneven. the bumps are small, but still noticeable when you compare the two. im wondering i=how worried i should be by this, and what i may be doing wrong. as i live in the UK they only go outdoors for the 2 warmest months of the year. the rest of the time they in an indoor pen with a spotlight and reptisun 5.0 uv lamp. im not totally sure what causes this 'lumpy' shell. i thought it just affected hatchlings. i also heard that it occurs when they eat too much, which would appear strange in this example as she doesnt eat much. she feeds on dandelion, chicory, carrot, broccoli and romaine lettuce, all of which get dusted in calcium, or vitamin powders. any help appreciated.
: thanks, karl

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]