kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Holly Molly, great pic! ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on February 11, 2002 at 09:06:22:

In Reply to: Holly Molly, great pic! ... posted by Niki on February 11, 2002 at 07:30:39:

Looks like I'm going to have to choose each word I type very carefully. For fear of being labeled a self proclaimed expert, with all the answers to sulcata pyramiding, growth etc. Insulting anyone who happens to have a sulcata with pyramiding, or exhibiting fast growth.
Even though I myself have two pyramided sulcata and freely admit it. Do I believe I'm the only person who has a smooth shelled, young sulcata, no? I know of two more sulcata that are also growing slowly and smoothly. Kept by other regulars at this forum, who are less vocal here than I am. And I'm sure there are plenty of others out there.
I am proud of this smooth little tort. But certainly don't have all the answers as to why he's growing as he is. Or even if his growth rate is normal, could be that he's the abnormal one, growing too slowly.
Without growth charts and photos of wild sulcata, who knows.

I do happen to believe though that there has to be a reason that so many captive sulcata reach adult size and sexual maturity long before their wild cousins. And a reason why so many young captive sulcata, exhibit pyramiding to various degrees.
I believe that the availability of food to captive sulcata and types of food fed are at least in part, responsible.
I don't believe that most people purposely overfeed their sulcata or intentionally feed the wrong types of food. I do believe that food is far more scarce in the wild, no lush lawns for grazing etc. And also realize that it's not possible for us to have our sulcata on a perfect/natural diet.
Most of the greens we feed (yes me included) are far higher in protein than the grasses, and plants wild sulcata feed on.
Who knows exactly the right amount to be fed, or has the magic formula for consistently producing smooth juvenile sulcata?
If you're out there, clue me in!
I'm sure that other factors also play a part, exposure to natural sunlight, metabolism, lack of exercise, humidity maybe and so on.

But yes I am guilty of believing that diet does play it's part in both pyramiding and accelerated growth. I'm sorry if this isn't a widely held belief and that it is offensive to some. Or if I come across as Miss know it all with all the answers and the only person with "perfectly managed pets," although I have never made that claim!

There, had to get that off my chest. Maybe I do come across as a know it all, but that certainly isn't my intention.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]