kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tortiose delicacy.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jon on December 30, 2000 at 21:30:54:

Here's my recipe for feeding success with tortioses.
I only keep hingeback tortioses but, this recipe can be adjusted to suit any tortioses tastebuds...

Ingredients-
-Rommaine lettuce
-fresh alfafa
-preferred grasses (no pesticides)
-fresh fruit (apples, bananas, pineapples, star fruit, pears, peaches, grapes, any favorite fruit will do)
-vitamin supplements of choice
-couple scoops of mealworms, crickets
- "knox" gelatin
-ice cube trays

Place the ingredients (except the gelatin mix) in a food processor and combine into a nice mixture and a suitable amount of water to make the mixture a consistency of honey, The ingredients can be adjusted to suit your tortioses needs, next fire up the stove and heat the mixture on low heat to further combine the ingredients, now is the time to add vitamins or minerals, next prepare the gelatin according to manufactures instructions. now add your food mixture to the gelatin, mix well, and pour the contents into the icecube trays, the mix will set up very quickly and refrigerate overnight. Now you have portioned meals of everything that you want your tortiose to eat, warm the cubes to room temp before feeding, the extra trays can be frozen and thawed when ready to use.
This is very useful for stubborn tortioses who are very accustomed to eating a limited diet. There favored foods can be the main ingredient at first, and slowly they can be weened of until they are eating what you want them to eat. Also this is a handy way to feed your torts when out of town (by a babysitter) or are just to busy to prepare a fresh meal. I rotate between fresh foods and this mixture and I am assured that my tortiose collection is thriving... Cheers.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]