kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Can sulcata torts survive a 3 day usps journey?? help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lisa on December 20, 2000 at 11:34:56:

In Reply to: Can sulcata torts survive a 3 day usps journey?? help! posted by Christy on December 20, 2000 at 11:19:56:

: I was sapposed to recieve my 2 baby sulcatas today, but they haven't showed up yet so I called the company and they told me that they wouldn't be here until tomorrow! The guy I bought them from was sapposed to ship them overnight, but somehow he shipped them wrong and I won't get them until tomorrow! They have already been traveling for a day and I am so worried that they will be dead when they arrive! I am so sick right now that I can't stand it. I told the lady at usps that they were live animals and it was important that they get here today. My heart is broken, they were sapposed to be a Christmas present. Is there any chance that they will make it here alive? If not is there anything I can do? Also, if I have to take them to the vet because of this, can the dealer or postal services be held responsible for the bills? Sorry that this is so long, I am worried sick, I am worried about those poor little babies out in this cold weather:(

I hope someone with more experience (than my 7 days) will reply for you soon. Here is what came with my baby when he was shipped..."if your reptiles appear to have arrived dead, do not throw them out or put in the freezer. DON'T PUT UNDER DIRECT HEAT. Take the bags and containers out of the box. Place the reptiles in their respective cages. Maike sure there are no heat sources on. Let them adjust to the room temperature for 2-3 hours. Then you may gradually add heat until the temperature reaches normal levels. They can go into shock if exposed to drastic temperature changes." It also said most will not eat right away, they need time to adjust. Also not to leave live food, but with sulcatas I don't think that's a problem since they don't eat live food. My baby was shipped overnight, but to the wrong address. He sat on my porch in 20 degree weather for a little while until my mom found him. Fortunately his heat packs were still warm and he is fine. I hope that helps. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]