kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Yeah, about that Calci-sand stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on December 17, 2000 at 22:37:55:

In Reply to: Re: Sulcata Problem posted by Eric S. on December 17, 2000 at 13:02:27:

I second the motion to remove the Calci-sand. I will never forget the x-rays of Albrecht and Chanel and seeing half of their tummy filled with that stuff. It took two weeks of "lax-aire" to work it all out. . . Furthermore, some of the sands have colorful dyes in them (green, red, orange) and it takes months to leave their skin. Chanel looked like he had green legs for 4 months even after we removed the calci-sand from his tank. What a bad purchase that stuff was.

Eric, I'm sorry to hear about your loss due to the sand but great job on your growing, glowing 2 year old!

Esther

: One thing caught my eye in your original message.. You said you had him on calci-sand. It's VERY good that you got him off of that stuff. We lost a tortoise last year because of an intestinal blockage caused by calci-sand.

: I'd suggest taking him to a vet and getting him x-rayed. It may reveal a mass of minerals (calcium) in his middle. If this is the case, the vet can suggest a course of action. Our vet was giving Beaker shots of fluids to hydrate him, plus an oil enema and a mild laxative each week. It was helping, his poop was almost completely calci-sand 3 weeks after he was taken off of it, but it was too late for him. He basically starved to death..

: We now have a new 2-year old that is kept on timothy-hay, and she's doing great. Just had a 6-month checkup, and she'd doubled her weight.. Up to 800 grams now. :)

: Good luck!

: -- Eric

: : He gets fed Mesclun Mix from the supermarket, plus dandelion leaves, and other assorted greens.
: : We have some tortoise chow that we give him now and then.

: : When we soak him he does his duty now and then, but now that I think about it, not as much as he used to. With the reptile bark in the enclosure it is hard to tell if he is going regularily. With the calci-sand you could tell.

: : Tonight I am going to make the enclosure half sand/half bark. Maybe that will do something. My sister-in-law has tortoise's, I will ask her advise in the AM. I tried to call the shop where I bought him, but they must be closed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]