kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: problems with 2 russians

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Georgia on December 17, 2000 at 14:20:14:

In Reply to: problems with 2 russians posted by karl on December 17, 2000 at 12:44:55:

I know nothing about Russians other than I thought they hibernate this time of the year. BUT I do have two sulcatas that are male and female and have a size difference also. When we had babies we found that one dominated the other and needed to separate them for that very reason. One hogged the food and the other barely got what was left. It took us a while to figure out what was going on as we were away during the day. It sounds like at this point you need to separate them especially for the health of the smaller one. Then later you can decide what to do.

: hello,
: I have two russian tortoises which have been together for about 6 months now. I keep them in a 6'x 2.5' enclosure and am overwintering at the moment. However, despite both being around 2.5 yrs old, the bigger male is about twice the size of the female. She stays in the nest most of the time - i originally thought this was because she was 'slowing down' for winter. however, since i have been off school the last week i have had chance to watch them closely. the male sits under the lamp all the time, and is always first to the food. whenever the feamle tries to get under the lamp he pushes her out the way. if she still doesn't move he bobs his head rapidly, before biting her hard on the head or head. she has already had one cut on her neck requiring treatment. it is not only when she tries to bask -he purposefully goes up to her and bullies her if she is out. this has meant that she is not eating properly and is always hiding. im worried that if i allow it to continue she will just get evn smaller while he gets bigger. because he attacks her wherever she is, im thinking having two basking lamps might not help too much. does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do? i really want to keep both but am starting to think it may be best if i part with one. surely he is not interested in mating at his age and time of yr? or is this how most male torts react to the other sex?
: many thanks in advance,
: karl

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]