kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Whoa, slow down..........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by graham(UK) on March 21, 2002 at 13:43:55:

In Reply to: Obviously they are all lettuces . . . posted by Lisa and Virgil on March 21, 2002 at 13:34:41:

I do not have a problem with you feeding "lettuces", I wanted to know if my/UK interpretation of the named items were what I thought they were, ie lettuce.

The language thing is quite different when you/USA citizens talk about certain "veggies", eg Zouccini, as I understand it is courgettes here in the UK.
I believe you have several differing names for similar veg which we here in the UK could mistrue for the wrong item should we need to purchase/use it.

I was not haveing a go at you, if your happy with your feeding regime, & your tort is ok, then it's fine by me also, each to his own.

graham(UK)

: arn't these items all varients of lettuce.....Romaine and radicchio, baby lettuces, romain radicchio endive escarole,& one called tender greens.
: : (Here's where the UK language differs slightly from the USA.)

: : graham(UK)

: :
: : : : : I’m convinced that the light color is from a combination of sun bleaching and calcium in the keratin layer of the shell. I have this 7 year old sulcata that came to me as an adoption and it was all dark. After a year or so she is getting noticeably lighter. I unfortunately did not take any pictures of her when I first got her.

: : : : : Btw, Speedy looks clean because I cleaned him off for the picture.

: : : : : I really don’t think he would be any bigger if he was outdoors. In fact, I think he would be smaller. I’ve placed leopards outdoors after 3 years and the growth rate actually slowed down.

: : : : : The growth rate is dependent on food and environmental conditions for the most part. If everyone kept those constant you probably would have a standard rate. I personally believe that the most important factors are heat and hydration and here’s why. The metabolism is totally dependent on the outside temperature. Now exactly how this figures into pyramiding I don’t know but I look at all the well formed animals and see a pattern to where that when adequate temperatures are provided with a varied diet and good hydration, nice animals are formed. (that’s what I think)

: : : : : Terry, I found it curious that in a few of your posts you gave the impression that you felt someone was upset over this discussion. I personally really enjoyed the exchange with all that participated. I picked up a few things. I wish we could have more discussions like this no matter how old the topic. This topic will obviously be debated for a long time to come and who knows, with enough discussion, maybe an answer can be found.

: : : : taken a couple of weeks ago. It's not the best, but the color is pretty accurate. He's now a year and a half and a pushing 3 1/2 inches. I need to weigh him. AS you can see, some parts of his shell are very slightly raised. Not pointy, but not smooth. He's inside most of the time due to his vulnerable size and southern Indiana weather. I hope to be moving him outside for extended periods in mid-April. This photo was taken with a $99 digital that I sat down right in front him about 2" away. No jokes please.

: : : the bags of salad from the grocery in the winter. I rotate through the different varieties each week -- Romaine and radicchio, baby lettuces, romain radicchio endive escarole, and I think one called tender greens. I figure using a different bag each week helps prevent him getting too much of a bad thing if there is a questionable item in the overall makeup. As the weather improves I get his food from the yard including grass, dandelions (my neighbors love me), hibiscus, cactus, mulberry leaves, clover, etc.

: the point was he doesn't ONLY eat romaine and being that his winter choices are limited, I try to keep it as varied as possible. I don't see that it's much different than eating a variety of weeds in the summer. They're still 'weeds'. Maybe I was misunderstood. The reason for the photo and the post was to compare to what Ed's baby looked like. Mostly the color difference. Virgil is doing outrageously well for whatever reason. I don't give myself much credit in this department since I am so new. When I look at the number of people who have lost their babies in recent months I am thankful that I got a hardy hatchling. Evansville is having a record low of 16 tonight, but I managed to find a gorgeous dandelion in the driveway. It lasted about 30 seconds. Hope everyone else is warmer than we are.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]