kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Your Russian Tortoise and your IGNORANT veterinarian

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by becky on December 13, 2000 at 13:53:52:

In Reply to: Re: Your Russian Tortoise and your IGNORANT veterinarian posted by LauraO on December 13, 2000 at 13:44:23:

: : Today I adopted a Russian Tortoise from a very nice family who had the misfortune of taking their tortoise to the vet for a checkup. These well intentioned individuals took their tortoise to the vet because it was a little stressed out. The vet proceeded to tell them all the things they were doing wrong. He advised them to stop letting the tort walk around their backyard and instead keep it in a GLASS aquarium with HIGH humidity. They should feed the tortoise FRUIT and CRICKETS/WORMS. The result of which is that I now have in my possession a very unhappy tortoise with a nice case of worms. What blows my mind is that this is a vet that is listed on the webpage for the NY turtle and tort society. Lets encourage individuals and organizations to send information out to these ignorant veterinarians so that no more torts have to suffer. A reptile vet should know the difference between box turtle and a russian tortoise, otherwise why do we go to them?
: : becky

: Vets can mess up too. I am from NY (in fact i recently adopted a box turtle through NYTTS) and my herp vet is generally very good, but he has done some questionable things. The last one was the suggestion that Panacur is toxic to chelonians, based on page 167 of Mader's book Reptile Med & surgery. I called many other herp vets with good repuations, rehabbers, breeders and the like. None of them had had bad experiences giving turtles panacur, and figured the text page to be anecdotal. When I told my vet this he said it mentioned that panacur can make a turtle anorexic. That is NOT the same as being toxic, and I am willing to bet he even misinterpreted the passage even more than that. Still, he is very good overall. It is very possible your Russian had worms before you fed it the improper diet. Virtually all Russians have worms upon import. I am still treating two of mine for them now. If insects and earthworms caused parasites, many other turtles as well as lizards and such, would be constantly suffering from internal parasites. But this is not the case. If you do not want to advertise this vet's name on forum, please email me because I would like to know the name. Maybe then I can mention this to NYTTS and get some advice from them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]