kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Leopard Tortoise Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tcc on December 13, 2000 at 00:47:06:

In Reply to: Leopard Tortoise Question posted by M Duggan on December 12, 2000 at 17:21:48:

Hi,
Misty Corton is a rehabber that lives and works with these neat tortoises in So Africa. Misty says that the average humidity in their natural climates are 50-60%.
Is this range doable?
I bet after all your homework you would really enjoy one.
My sulcatas tend to act like their going to melt but the leops are always out grazing and puddle stomping in warm rain.
In Texas, we meet this criteria and much of our rain comes in the cooler months.
Cold and Humidity is the Main issue in my experience.
Accomidations for housing are worth the investment.
Its literally freezing rain out and my torts can chose if they want to go out or hang out in the roomy heated Tupperware tortoise shed. I think its because they have lots of dry hay and a arid humidity/ heat controlled environment to retreat to, that they do so well.

tcc :)

: After six months of research I have decided to acquire a leopard tortoise. I just need a definitive answer to one last question so I can feel comfortable making the commitment. I realise that the leopard tortoise needs lots of outdoor time and sunshine but my worry is humidity. I currently reside in northern Florida and while it is Africa hot in Florida, it is not Africa dry. Can I expect the leopard tortoise to thrive in North Florida humidity? The answer seems to change from one subject matter to the next. I realise that there are tortoises that do better in higher humidity but I would really prefer a Leopard if it is doable.(is that a word?) Inputs and opinions from anyone with first hand knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]