kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata hatchling-please read-he/she arrives Tuesday!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 12, 2000 at 02:00:07:

In Reply to: Sulcata hatchling-please read-he/she arrives Tuesday! posted by Lisa on December 11, 2000 at 22:42:01:

Hi Lisa,
everything sounds great except for the strawberries!
No fruit for this species, the cactus and foods like that can be a treat. I grow my own cactus, but still only give it to my sulcatas once a week to every ten days as it does cause them to produce loose stools.
I also grow hibiscus bushes and the sulcatas get all the hibiscus flowers daily . So think about growing hibiscus if you can, red flowers are a favorite.
You can mix in freshly sniped grasses from your yard into the greens and infact I recommend you do that.(no pestisides or fertilizer)
Sulcatas are grazing herbivores and grazing on grasses and edible weeds and flowers provides fiber which is very important to this species.So by sniping some grass daily, then cutting it up into small pieces and mixing it in with the greens, you'll be making sure he/she gets his fiber.
A little grated yam can also be given ( mixed in with the greens)once a week or so.

Soaking is also recommended for young sulcatas, soak every other day in shallow, lukewarm water.
The water should only come up to the bottom of it's chin, or where the top shell (carapace) meets the bottom shell (plastron).
Soak for around 10 minutes.
As he/she gets bigger you can soak twice a week, then once a week for a sub adult. I don't soak my sulcatas which are 8" and the others over 50lbs, but they will walk through the sprinklers . I don't water the back yard during the day when they're out roaming. But the sprinklers round the side of the house will hit a small area in the back yard and they sometimes sit in the water/drink or just walk through.
They do have water dishes, for a small sulcata you can use the lid off a tupperware container.
Shallow and flat, or a sunny delight ( or something similar) small plastic top.
I use plastic plant pot saucers for my larger sulcatas to drink from.

Sounds like you've done your homework, congrats on your new sulcata, let us know when he/she arrives.

I'll leave the UVB light question to somebody else as I don't have any experience with it, luckily I live in a warm climate ( Hawaii) so my torts are outdoors year round.

I'm rambling again!
Enjoy your little sulcata and keep us up dated.
Terry.
PS. If you haven't already visit Sulcata Station ( linked below) lots of sulcata info there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]