kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: IT'S A SULCATTA!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on December 09, 2000 at 09:33:55:

In Reply to: IT'S A SULCATTA!!!!!! posted by gary on December 09, 2000 at 01:58:16:

First of Gary, lighten up.
You need to get the little guy in larger quarters. At least a 20 gal long or something of similar size. A 13 gal sweaterbox will work for a while and costs as much as a 5 gal tank or less 6 - 9 bucks on sale.
Next, temperature range should be 75 - 100 F for the sulcata. A clip on lamp with a 60 to 100w bulb at one end of the enclosure should do it provided the enclosure is at least 2 ft (or so) long. The lamp should be no closer than 8 - 10 inches from the substrate.
Provide a water dish with fresh water daily. It has to be low enough for the tortoise to access. (Use your immagination on that one)
For food you want to vary it as much as possible feeding dark leafy greens. I suggest not using spinach at all. Veggies are ok occasioonally and fruits hardly ever if at all.
Provide cuttlebone at all times and dust the food with powdered cuttlebone at each feeding.
I use Centrum once a week for the tortoises.(crush the tablets and LIGHTLY sprinkle on the food once a week.)
For the lighting I highly recomend this active UV heat bulb which will give you the UV you need.
Good luck
Ed
also check out the following web sites for links.
Tortoise Trust
California turtle and Tortoise Club (CTTC)
Melissa Kaplans web page.
Those will link you to everything you need to know.
: THE TITLE OF MY EARLIER POSTS WERE SUPPOSED TO READ MY NEW 3" SPUR THIGH BUT IT KEPT GETTING CUT DOWN!!
: NOW THAT YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF TORTOISE I'M TALKING ABOUT, CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]